Chain tention drag bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain tention drag bike

Been working on my bike to get ready for this weekend. Chain seemed very loose to me, so I tightened it a bit. I'm wondering how much up and down movement you guys run on your drag bikes? Running a slick and WOT launch also. Thanks for your help, sprout

About 1/2 - 3/4 inch up & down movement is good. This doesn't mean a HARD push to get that, but a LITTLE pressure. Ray.

Comment

you are racing your bike on a drag strip and you dont even know how to tension a chain correctly?????? do you know how to set up your engine correctly?
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks Ray, that's is right where I set the chain. The reason I started this post is for the fact I read someone else's post and it sounded to me that they ran the chain very loose. No harm asking. Tell someone like AGEMAX has a dushbag comment and recks what the ask forum is all about helping others.

Comment

Agemax... 80% of riders problably don't know the "correct" way to do a standard adjustment, let alone the adjustment of an altered bike. Asking opinion of others how they do it is a very modest thing to do, I would rather ask someone, then guess Im doing it right and wreck something later. I run my chain at about an 1" slack with an 8" swingarm because it felt right, but maybe as I have no rear suspention I could tighten it up a bit more.

Comments of those like Agemax need to be removed as soon as seen as its only going to make people afraid to ask questions.

Edit: Besides there isn't a "Manual" for drag racing, (well, unless Ray wrote one) Its all bout asking what your peers are doing, asking everyone what and why they do the things they do or why and how they set up thier bikes. If you can't ask a fellow racer what psi they run, you'll never improve your setup, and vise versa. DOn't make someone feel dumb for asking questions...
          Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2012, 04:28 PM.

Comment

all i am saying is he wants to go drag racing but he doesn't know how to tension his chain? what does he know about setting up motors, and carbs, and tire pressures??????? the guy shouldnt be allowed on a road let alone a drag race track
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

SO instead of helping him you belittle him with the comment you posted? What does the motor, carbs and tire pressure have anything to do with it? The motor runs, has a contained breather, thats all that you need to race, carbs, are they leaking, have a positive return spring, the tires, do they have air in them? Go racing! The techs will point out any issuses they see, thats why they are there. He was simply asking what slack he should run, if he ran a 1/2" or an 1 1/2" Im sure it would be ok, but he asked for a second, or maybe 3rd opinion. Im sure he is pretty new to racing so he's asking questions, HELP him, don't scare him or make him feel stupid, thats all Im saying. Its comments like yours that cause more damage then good, and can lead to a more dangerous outcome as your comment could keep him from asking other important questions. He is a better way.

Agemax: Sorry I don't know the correct way to set the tension on your bike, but insead of making a smart ass comment, ask around someone will be able to help. By the way, Hows everything else running, any motor mods? Gear changes? Let me know how your weekend turns out, if there is anything I can help with I will help.

But you failed Agemax. If you cannot answer or help find the answer, maybe you shouldn't post a comment.

Comment

he didnt even post if he was running shocks or struts. makes a hell of a difference
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                  he didnt even post if he was running shocks or struts. makes a hell of a difference
                  So why didn't you ask him?

Instead you make a rude comment.

Comment

it wasnt rude it was a straight forward answer. FFS would you let your kid out on the road on a bike that he didnt know how to maintain, let alone a drag strip
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

would you let your kid out on the road on a bike that he didnt know how to maintain, let alone a drag strip
                      YES!!! I would, and I have myself. Except if I had a kid I would build him a super comp Jr Dragster Those are bad as hell.

Comment

all i am saying is he wants to go drag racing but he doesn't know how to tension his chain? what does he know about setting up motors, and carbs, and tire pressures??????? the guy shouldnt be allowed on a road let alone a drag race track
                        I think I understand your point in that if someone is racing you'd hope they'd know something about their bike first.

However, where would someone learn this stuff Agemax? They don't teach you how to adjust your chain or perform a basic oil change when going through the MSF course. Heck, I'd say we're fortunate most states require some sort of training to get the endorsement but it's still not mandatory here.

I didn't know anything about maintaining a motorcycle when I first bought mine except that I should change the plugs and oil. But I asked questions and learned from folks - it's the right thing to do. And you know what, even after doing that I found I was doing some things wrong. Only by making the mistakes, asking more questions, and having someone show me have I learned how to do it the right way.

But if I was to follow your line of thinking I should never have gotten on a motorcycle much less behind the wheel of a car.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks for the back up guys, I have been on other forum type websites and have stopped going on them because of people like AGEMAX he will distroy what this site is all about. My father has over 40 years of metalwork experience him and I did post a ton of info on a site called metal meet.com people like AGEMax posted stupid opinion and only hurt the people that wanted the info and would do something with the info. AGEMAX is someone that has nothing and will never have anything so being a dick to others makes him feel tough.

Oh by the way I took 2nd in a gambler race out of 33 cars and bike box and no box race how you like those apples?????

Comment

I see it says midwest, where do you race at Sprout?

Comment

Originally posted by sprout View Post
                              Thanks for the back up guys, I have been on other forum type websites and have stopped going on them because of people like AGEMAX he will distroy what this site is all about. My father has over 40 years of metalwork experience him and I did post a ton of info on a site called metal meet.com people like AGEMax posted stupid opinion and only hurt the people that wanted the info and would do something with the info. AGEMAX is someone that has nothing and will never have anything so being a dick to others makes him feel tough.

Oh by the way I took 2nd in a gambler race out of 33 cars and bike box and no box race how you like those apples?????
                              you know nothing about me and for your information i have a lot more than you ever will!
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                              X