this Sat first race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this Sat first race

so it,s off to the track Sat morning for my first ever actual competition and have went over everything i can think of to get ready. Bike is running fantastic as usual,got me a new race suit and the trailer is loaded.Looks like there will be about 16 bikes there. This series allows for any dial in,bar-no bar pretty much anything goes. Dont have huge expectations but would definatly like to get through a few rounds at least.Have been researching on bracket strategies online and will listen to all that have secrets they are willing to share. From what i have been told there will be a lot of quick street bikes and only a handfull of bar bikes there and in my completely green opinion i should have a slight advantage.I will be running on a pro 400 tree and have gotten in 12 passes in test and tune with my reaction time getting much more consistent around .02-.06

If you have to run a no bar bike MAKE them stage first! Those guys seem to take forever to stage & will hang you out. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      If you have to run a no bar bike MAKE them stage first! Those guys seem to take forever to stage & will hang you out. Ray.
      Thanks Ray I have noticed that they need to do 2 min burnouts and usually need time to spool up their turbos. I will take that advice although it will be the first time I have ever allowed that to happen

Comment

Rained out. Next opertunity June 30. Could have raced today but stuck on a roof supposedly working

Comment

Hi Steve:

Probably won't tell you anything you don't already know, but if I do it might help. Some of this is common knowledge, and some of it is just my way of thinking about it.
          Bracket racing consists of three stages: (1) Stage/launch (2) Information gathering (3) Traps.
          (1) Try to be consistent with the burnout. If you have a helper they should be know what to look for. If not, since you can't see the rear tire count in your head how long the tire is spinning, and spin it the same amount of time every time (for the conditions of any given day). The idea is to have the tire at roughly the same temp on each launch. For the launch (at least for small tire bikes), the front end must be preloaded by letting the clutch out to the point of friction. Not doing this causes all kinds of problems. Last, what do you know about your opponent? If you know they're weak on the light you should consider taking a little extra time on the launch. It's crazy to try to cut a perfect light when you can expect your opponent to be sitting at the light longer than you.
          (2) Once you are underway you have to assimilate everything you know to that point. Did your opponent red light? Did you have good/bad launch? Did you cut a good light? All of it adds up to one of a few conclusions: (a)you're already good (opponent red lighted), and can keep it hammered to check your dial (b) You expect to have room to let off at the end (c) You don't. The bottom line of (b) and (c) is that if you can afford to let off before the stripe, you should. This is a hell of a lot easier to judge if you're going faster than the other rider. If you are slower and get passed before the stripe, keep the pressure on until just before the stripe then hit the brakes. It minimizes the chances of you breaking out and maximizes the chances of your opponent breaking out.
          A couple of other notes. If you want to really get good at this, don't dick around with sandbagging, or be worried about your opponent doing it. The race is won by the rider with the (non-red lighted) lowest combined total of reaction time (RT) plus (non-breakout) actual time (AT) minus dial time (DT), or lowest RT + AT - DT. If the race is close (especially so when you're cutting good lights and hitting your dial), sandbaggers have to guess, and you don't. There's no substitute for good RT's and hitting your dial.
          Last, if you are cutting good lights, but are up against someone you think you have to cut an even better light to win against, consider deep staging. Some tracks don't allow this, but if you are at one that does, after the second stage light comes on edge the bike forward until the top stage light goes out. This will add to the ET and subtract from the RT, but the two effects aren't equal: a .01 advantage gained over 6 inches is a bigger deal than a .01 advantage lost over 60 ft.

Comment

sand bagging is not cheating

I'm a sand bagger and I never have to guess what to do at the stripe.

like to know why?

dialing "honest" leaves absolutely no margin for mistakes. Like if you happen to make a little mistake on shift time - or a slight slip of traction at the top of 2nd gear -- any micro variance during a run and your "honest dial" is blown - (not to mention what effect wind and weather have)

as far as I know there are 3 actions in a specific order necessary to win a bracket race
            #1 cut a good light
            #2 get your junk down the track
            #3 play the stripe correctly -- (take it or give it)
            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Trip,
              When does class start for Sand Bag 101.? I want to play too. I have not been up to Great Lakes in 3 weeks... I swear I am bringing the ES to you by next Tuesday. Meanwhile, Did you see the link I sent you yesterday? I like the idea... It has a stock motor in it that would be a great swap.
              Curt
              sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Really appreciate all suggestions and am finally gonna race sat and sun have also signed up to 1320go. I have been looking over all my competitions time slips,dial ins etc so I think I have a bit of knowledge. The same guy has won 3 weekends in a row and his bike is a middle of the pack at best gsxr that is off about 3/10 from my bike. I have a strategy against him in my mind now and will post how I fared on sat night. My bike will run with the big dogs but not sure about myself. I don't believe in luck so we will see . Two separate events this weekend so I have two kicks at the can

Comment

Fingers crossed for you.
                  Can't wait to see the video's and posted time slips.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by amxsteve View Post
                    Really appreciate all suggestions and am finally gonna race sat and sun have also signed up to 1320go. I have been looking over all my competitions time slips,dial ins etc so I think I have a bit of knowledge. The same guy has won 3 weekends in a row and his bike is a middle of the pack at best gsxr that is off about 3/10 from my bike. I have a strategy against him in my mind now and will post how I fared on sat night. My bike will run with the big dogs but not sure about myself. I don't believe in luck so we will see . Two separate events this weekend so I have two kicks at the can
                    Good luck, Steve...

Most important thing is to stay calm and follow the same routines every run, every race, ever race day...

I believe you will do well...and know you will have fun
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                      Good luck, Steve...

Most important thing is to stay calm and follow the same routines every run, every race, ever race day...

I believe you will do well...and know you will have fun
                      Thanks Bob I know I will have fun but still wanna hold the cheque

Comment

I think you should give that bike back to us. I am sure you are not having any fun... Good luck and we really want to see the video. Get someone to to lend you an iphone or some other phone... Till we see you in the movies...
                        Curt
                        sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Qualified first out of 11. Two step button spacer vibrated out so as soon as I got staged and pushed in two step, I rolled through-disqualified

Comment

that sucks, sorry to hear this.
                            80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by amxsteve View Post
                              Qualified first out of 11. Two step button spacer vibrated out so as soon as I got staged and pushed in two step, I rolled through-disqualified
                              Every time you don't win, you learn something that helps you later...

My first season at RT66 Raceway, which I think was 8 races, maybe 10, I never once made it past the first round...not once.

But I had fun and made new friends...hope you did also..
                              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                              X