raced the 1100 at the drag strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raced the 1100 at the drag strip

I took my 80 gs 1100 to the strip last weekend. The bike has a gsxr front end & Bandit swing arm along with a host of other mods. The engine is stock with the exception of a V & H pipe & 36mm 1150 carbs with a Dynojet kit & pods. The bike is severely hampered by my choice of gearing 17 X 42 for the highway. Even so, the bike ran like a champ. Strong launches with the front wheel dancing on the track, clicked through the gears........ boy do those carbs make the bike wail from about 7-9 thou. rpm. Very different sound than with stock carbs. I ran high 11's at about 112 mph. Not bad for not having drag raced for 8 years. I'm changing the gearing to a more track oriented ratio shortly then going back for more.

Waaayyyy too much fun.
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Send us a pic or 2. Or even better a video... And yes it is too much fun.
    Curt
    sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Way to go, Paul.
      Did you run at Sparta?
      In a previous life i ran my '83 Kat there.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I like to hear stories like this because motorcycle drag racing attendance has been sliding downward for a few years --
        You can go so fast for such little money - in perspective to automotive costs for a 11 sec machine.

It's a total GAS - I love my dragbike
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          Way to go, Paul.
          Did you run at Sparta?
          In a previous life i ran my '83 Kat there.
          Yep, it was Sparta, Steve. I started going there as a wee lad back when it opened in 1962. I was 11 at the time. Been hooked ever since. Don't get back there as much as i like.

I want to try to get to Cayuga this weekend for their big race. Free admission if you print off the coupon. Check it out

All my 60 fts were in the 1.9. Reaction times could use some work. But all in all, a real blast.
          80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

I have another thread concerning what rear sprocket to run for drag racing with a 18 tooth front sprocket. Once I get that figured, I'll get a new chain & head back to the track.

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
              I have another thread concerning what rear sprocket to run for drag racing with a 18 tooth front sprocket. Once I get that figured, I'll get a new chain & head back to the track.
              Pretty sure I have 3 diff front sprockets that you can play with

Comment

Sounds good, Steve but I need to run an 18 tooth front for clearance for my Bandit swingarm. It's the rear I want to change from the 42 tooth I run now since I'm just shifting into 4th about 200 ft before the traps.

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
                  A 57 tooth will get you close to a 3.2 ratio & that is the area you need to be in with your set up. Ray.

Comment

Rear sprocket

You running the stock 630 chain? I just put a 48 tooth 630 aluminum sprocket on eBay. If you want it I'll yank the listing. I also have a 51 tooth aluminum 530 sprocket.
                    As for shifting into 5th 200 ft. before the traps, if you shifted 500 rpm higher in each gear you could probably go through traps in fourth. Still, your times will almost certainly improve if you put a bigger sprocket on the back.

Comment

I am sending you a pm.

Comment

Yeah, I love the sound from the V&H pro pipe too !

1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Originally posted by RacingJake View Post
                          Yeah, I love the sound from the V&H pro pipe too !

http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=midland1.mp4
                          Lovely sound!!!!!

Comment

QUESTION??? kinda a newb. here...still learning. I have a 1980 gs110L model with some mods, kerker exhaust pods and stage 3 jets on it. REcently i noticed some vibration coming from the rear. I removed the front sprocket cover to inspect the chain and sprocket. On the center stand I was able to put the bike in first gear and watch the chain...What I saw was that the chain would get tighter and looser as it rotates, almost like something was "kinked". With the bike in off and neutral, when you rotate the back wheel you can physically the the tension in the chain tighten and loosen and the wheel will need a lil more push to rotate when the chain gets tighter??

When you look down the chain for straighness you can visually see that the rear sprocket appears to be bent.?? I believe that the vibration I am feeling is obviously due to the chain.???

Any Advise or Oinois would be greatly appreciated.. I was wanting to do the chain and sprocket conversion on the bike...and was thihnking that swap would be perfect and itll fix my problem I am having with the bike. Ive been doing some research but I am not sure what parts I need to order to do the swap..I am NOT looking to make it a drag bike, or wheelie monster just something will better accl and take off but not loosing my top speed either?

PLEASE HELP?!!

Comment

I have the same thing going on with my chain... Its old and needs to be replaced. Just like yours. IF you are looking to do the conversion, sounds like the right time. Call Z1 and tell them what you want to do and maybe the will get you a compromise between acceleration and cruising rpm...
                              Curt
                              P.S.
                              Mine is a drag bike and I will be replacing the chain this off season...
                              sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Working...
                              X