cyl stud pulled out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cyl stud pulled out

I re-torqued my 1166 cylinder head when i rebuild it and then rode it for a few 100 miles and then took the head off to re-torque when and found that the very front left cylinder stud (if sitting on bike) had pulled out. I ran it for a little bit but it has now begun leaking.

I am planning on putting a helicoil in but I'm not sure what the thread is to order the helicoil. Does anyone know? I was using APE cyl studs and torqued them halfway between min and max.

That sucks. I torqued my head down to 40-45 # and when I went to retorque, they wont budge even at 50#. No problems so far. If one pulled out on you I would be tempted to helicoil all of them.
    I am going to be installing main studs soon, I really dont like torquing bolts into that soft aluminum

Comment

I think i've got the size of M10x1.25 for the thread size and pitch, can anyone varify? Also, How long should i go? 15mm, 20mm?

Thanks,
      Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
        I think i've got the size of M10x1.25 for the thread size and pitch, can anyone varify?
        Thanks,
        Nick

That is correct.
        Speed Merchant
        http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
          I re-torqued my 1166 cylinder head when i rebuild it and then rode it for a few 100 miles and then took the head off to re-torque ...
          Why are you taking the head off to re-torque?

Seems to me, if you take the head off, you just have to start all over again.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My bad, i meant valve cover.

Comment

Working...
            X