SV and V Strom Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SV and V Strom Owners

Let's see them. This is my 2006 SV650N which I really like.

sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Here is my old race bike
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

while we're at it, someone sell me a wee

Comment

I've pretty much settled that I'm going to get a DL1000 next spring (or perhaps over the winter). Depends on the deal. Or if one comes up at a price I can't ignore a Triumph Tiger.

Right now there is a DL1000 for sale on Ebay at a very reasonable price.

Speaking of which, does it make sense to hold out much longer? When IS the best time to buy for best price?

Comment

I'm not an SV owner, but I have ridden one a few times . Very nice bikes to be sure. Love the sound from the 650 twin.

This one is a first year model, 1999. Belongs to a friend of mine. I rode it back to his place for him when he didn't have his license yet.

Definitely a sweet little bike. Especially in blue eh Scott?

Comment

I don't have an SV or DL. I do have a TL, can I play too?

Comment

Originally posted by JATO View Post
              I don't have an SV or DL. I do have a TL, can I play too?

Sure, all of them are V Twin "Brothers by a different Mother".

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Interesting news... After a few years of NOT selling the sv650 / Gladius in the US, Suzuki is bringing it back!

Now called the SFV650, it looks like a Gladius with a redesigned radiator, and a cool gunmetal on black paint scheme. (No more electric blue frame ) Still for a NEW bike at $8K this thing is top of my list if I were to buy a new bike in the upcoming year or so.

Also couldn't help but notice they are bringing back the DRZ400 Super Moto. Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                  Still for a NEW bike at $8K this thing is top of my list if I were to buy a new bike in the upcoming year or so.
                  Well as luck would have it, I AM in the market for a new motorcycle. It was actually the missus's idea, to have something newer and safer than the GS to ride daily. Cant argue with that now can I?!

I'm leaning towards either 2013 SFV650, or the 2009 Gladius model, used for half price. Specifically THIS one.

Amazing how much better it looks in black with the silly plastic panels covering the swing arm pivot and lower frame removed and a slip on pipe.

It has 8,400 miles on it, and can be mine for 4k.

I want it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                    I'm not an SV owner, but I have ridden one a few times . Very nice bikes to be sure. Love the sound from the 650 twin.

This one is a first year model, 1999. Belongs to a friend of mine. I rode it back to his place for him when he didn't have his license yet.

Definitely a sweet little bike. Especially in blue eh Scott?
                    The best looking (and fastest!! ) of all SV650s. I've had 4, and oddly enough 3 of them have been the '99 blue. Bought the first one the day they came out in Feb '99. I'd just started racing the previous year on an EX500, and when the SV was announced in Oct all of us in the LW classes new that there was a new sheriff in town. So I put down my deposit and picked it up as soon as the first ones came in. Funny thing happened though, the bike was an absolute blast to ride on the street, and so I kept racing the EX and put 13k miles on the SV (including a 7k mile, 3 week trip) in 7 months. Finally race-prepped it for the last round in Oct '99 and won 2 out of the three races I entered. How's that for an all-around bike!
                    In fact, I could make a strong case for the SV being the best all-around bike ever made.
                    It does have one weakness though, and that's 2-up riding. Had a Concours for a long time (actually a couple of them) that I used for that purpose, but I'd gotten tired of the weight and sold it. The wife and I were scheduled to take a bike trip with some friends, and a couple of weeks before it I took the wife for a spin on the SV to see if that was doable. half a mile from the house and she's screaming in my ear, "TAKE ME HOME NOW!!". No go on the SV. Soooo...
                    Me: Well, I've been thinking about a V-Strom.
                    Her: Who makes that?
                    Me: Suzuki.
                    Her: CALL SHAWN!! NOW!! (Shawn is a good friend who's also the sales manager at Oklahoma Honda/Suzuki.)

So I do, he has one, I tell him to get it ready and we go down and pick it up. Wonderful bike. Nice light, balanced feel, enough power, roomy, great ergos, just a fabulous commuter/tourer. That was 6 years ago, still have that bike, still very happy with it. Took it to Alaska in '08, it never missed a beat.

Bottom line, 2 of the best bikes I've owned.
                    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by the schwartz View Post
                      while we're at it, someone sell me a wee
                      well, someone did

here's a kinda dark instagram photo of my new v-strom 650. i'll put some better ones up another time

edit: new to me! =D

Comment

The mighty Vee -- my 2002 V-Strom DL1000 outside my office today:

No, I never wash it.
                        Yes, that's a regulation hockey puck.

The stock windscreen is horrible. The more I cut off, the more I liked it.

Up front, there's a set of Rich's fork springs and a fork brace. Out back, I have a stock shock that was rebuilt and resprung by Sasquatch. Engine is stock, aside from a Power Commander.

The bike came to me with Givi luggage (very, very niiiiice), but I only needed the trunk today.

It's at 80,000 miles right now. Just checked the valve clearances about 200 miles ago, and I'm not touching the valve covers again until it hits 100K. These engines are incredibly understressed and long-lived.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

For you SV owners, I am looking at a higher mileage bike 29,xxx. I say high mileage, because most are under 7,xxx around here, since the owners usually go on to the crochity rackets. Anywho, I looked at the service manual and besides the usual (valves,fluids,etc), any issues arise in these motors with higher miles? Thanks
                          1984 GS550ES
                          Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                          4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

I haven't heard of any engine issues below 50,000 miles. What year model are you looking at?
                            Last edited by marvinsc; 04-15-2013, 08:48 AM.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

looking at a second gen, 2006. Thanks for the info
                              1984 GS550ES
                              Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                              4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

Working...
                              X