Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 Kawasaki KZ1100A Project

Yay! A place for my junk too!

Project started about 3 weeks ago, slowly making progress. Bike is a 82 KZ1100A, 48k on it, and needs lots of attention.

As delivered:

Progress since this picture:
    - Stripped all the Vetter garbage off of it (which may turn out to be a mistake since apparently they were Kawasaki/Vetter branded stuff from either the dealer or factory)
    - Washed it about seventy times to cut through the 30 years of dirt
    - Replaced plugs, wires, caps
    - Deoxidized every electrical connector on it

Next up is rebuilding the starter clutch since the last bonehead didn't use Loc-tite on the attaching threads essentially destroying it. After that, it's carb time. Will post more pics.

How's your project going?

Comment

Slow.

Thing has electrical demons from what looks like shoddy PO wiring and/or a fried stator or R/R. Carbs need to be rebuilt. Needs valves adjusted. Smokes bad when goosed.

Can't find a factory headlight bracket or turn signals for a reasonable price. Seems like parts for these things just aren't as abundant as what's available here for the Zuks. Definitely more available here, and a bit better forum here than on the other side of the fence.

Might be something that's better suited to a part-out to keep other bikes on the road, but I'm taking some time away from it to see if the interest comes back. Also have a interest-gauging thread on KZR about part-out. If I get enough interest, I'll probably part it and put the money towards finding a GS1100. If not, I'll probably dig harder into it.

Should know what's going on in the next couple days.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-27-2012, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X