da Savage 650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

da Savage 650

So, it's not a GS. Any owners? Any opinions. I am not a fan of my Yamaha 650- too heavy, too wide of a tank. So, I was thinking...... maybe......

One of the most boring bikes ever.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

FantomView augmented reality (AR) for automotive and powersports. The future of vehicle customization.

The costly way to fix "boring".

And Tkent - I still have those bars for you. Haven't forgotten, just been busy as heck..........

Comment

My dad got one, after he sold his GB500. He thought that the GB was too uncomfortable. He soon got to hate the low seat and forward controls on his Savage. He complained about it hurting his back, and that the locations of the controls didn't allow him to lift his butt out of the seat ar railroad crossings, etc.

I talked him into getting a Honda Ascot single. He loved that bike. He said that it was the best bike he ever owned.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I'm not sure why, but I've always had a fond spot for the Savage.
          I've never ridden one and don't know alot about them but I just think they're a nice looking bike.
          Somethibg about the single cyclinder.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
            http://www.rycamotors.com/bikes/
            The costly way to fix "boring".
            I like the scrambler kit.

Comment

I have one has a backup bike when the gs is on the operating table.
              its a 1986 with the 4 speeds trans, 1988 and later have 5 speeds.

I really hate the cruiser riding position but this bike is trouble free and was cheap, bought it for 300$ last year.I just put a yamaha raptor petcock and a set of drag bar on it.Still need to find a oem muffler, th PO fitted a straig thru exhaust.

If you ride under the speed limit its an OK bike.Its the first bike i can put both feets down flat and my oldest daugther like to ride with me with the little backrest.
              Marc
              AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
              1978 GS1000C X2
              1978 GS1000E X2
              1979 GS1000S
              1979 gs1000
              1983 gs400e

Comment

I do have a thing for touching the gound with both feet when needed. Thank you. And, I am not a speed demon. The faster you go, the more chance of injury.

Comment

They are slugs, but you could do cosmetic surgery to make them look less like the stock appearance, at least. Since I like thumpers, I have thought about getting one before, though. Being fast enough to get out of your own way, and out of the way of cagers is a plus.
                  They might be fun to bob!
                  Last edited by gsgeezer; 12-01-2012, 08:04 PM.

1979 GS1000

Comment

I too have a soft spot of these bikes. I rode one for a little while, but I think I'm a sucker for something that I can tinker with - hence I got the CM400, which is reliable as a wet paper bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Bookmon View Post
                      The faster you go, the more chance of injury.
                      Actually this is not true.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Actually this is not true.
                        I agree. Most injuries are caused by the speed of the "Stop" not the speed of the bike....

i.e. a dead stop into the side of a car at 30mph will probably do more damage than a 100mph slide if you have a nice clear exit if you're wearing the right gear (you only have to watch MotoGP to see that).
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

They have a lot of torque and run great.
                          I had one and it is definitely NOT a slug lol.. it's just a 650 single that runs as designed....

A big single has a very satisfying kind of ride.. at least to ME.

You'll need to shave 1/2 off the shim for the needle jet and open up the primary case and either install a new cam chain or weld an extension onto the cam chain adjuster if it has over 8k miles or you risk lurching the motor. The stock cam chain adjuster will literally fall out with 1/2 chain wear so be warned !!!

I've had 4 or 5 apart for customers and always the same thing.
                          ALSO you can easily change the noisy belt drive to chain and sprockets with a 1 inch washer for a spacer and sprocket up front and a GS550(my memory is getting bad..???) rear sprocket to gear it up. They are severely undergeared ( HIGH RATIO) with the stock belt drive and really good for in town but not on the open road.

The later models are 5 speed and a bit better on the gearing but mine was an older one with 4 speeds and I geared it up and ABSOLUTELY loved the dam thing but some guy offered too much for it and it went away.

Comment

My daughter-in-law had a Savage for ten years . She loved it, and never had a minute's trouble out of it. I rode it several times, a couple of times on 300+ miles trips, and it was a solid, very capable bike.

Which Yammie 650 do you have, the XS or XJ? I like my XJ650.
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2012, 11:07 PM.

Comment

I like my XJ650 Seca. It is going to belong to my girlfriend as soon as she passes her MSF course. It does have gold carbs off a Midnight Maxim.

Originally posted by JJ View Post
                              My daughter-in-law had a Savage for ten years . She loved it, and never had a minute's trouble out of it. I rode it several times, a couple of times on 300+ miles trips, and it was a solid, very capable bike.

Which Yammie 650 do you have, the XS or XJ? I like my XJ650.
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                              X