Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used V-Twin advice

Greetings.

Currently I have a 80 GS550E ( first and only bike)which is good for short hops.
    However, on long highway trips 200+ miles at 65+ MPH it just doesn't cut it and with the high center of gravity, its a little tough to control at low speeds and windy conditions.
    So, I decided to look for a used V-Twin (low center of gravity), nothing large ( I'm 5'10' 155) just comfortable on long trips.
    Any tips , thoughts or suggestions which bike to buy will be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Look at an SV650

Comment

Yes, I like mine but I find that with the stock seat, at 200 miles or so I'm ready to call it a day.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Aprilia Shiver, but I am rather biased........

IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Whoa. That is one sweet bike Joe. Next time I'm in Chicago (which is next week...wink,wink), I need to come take a closer look.

Geo, search the motorcycle internet sites for reviews. Most of the current japanese cruisers are very comfortable and have low seat heights. Then, go find a dealer with a decent used bike inventory and take some test rides. I just recently picked up a Yamaha Stryker and find it extremely comfortable but this is a new model starting 2011 so not much used inventory out there just yet.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
          Last edited by Sci85; 09-29-2012, 10:39 PM.
          1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
          2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Take a look at the Buell Ulysses, great bikes many loyal riders, unique and fun as all get out to ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
              Whoa. That is one sweet bike Joe. Next time I'm in Chicago (which is next week...wink,wink), I need to come take a closer look.
              Sci85,

When will you be in town? Some of the local guys are heading out for the Dave Davis Memorial Fennimore Rally on Thursday and Friday. I'm heading out for an Appalachian tour Friday as well. You are more than welcome to come by if you'll be in town before Friday.

Thanks,
              Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

If you're looking for a cruiser, take a look at the Suzuki C50 or C90. I have a 2008 C90 and I've had it all over the northern midwest this summer and it's been a damn good bike.

Comment

Yeah, we need to know whether the OP is looking for a cruiser with floorboards or something that will go around corners.

If someone held a gun to my head and forced me to buy a cruiser, I'd go for a Moto Guzzi, just to be different. I think spiffing up an old Guzzi would be sort of fun, and they can be made to handle decently.

If you're looking for something comfy that will handle the highway and also handles well, the Suzuki V-Strom 650 is EXTREMELY comfy -- far more than any feet-forward cruiser.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Part of long distance riding is not to die of boredom along the way.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

don't think that just because it's a v twin means it has a lower center of gravity.
                      harley's are like that because they are a push rod engine with a dry sump.
                      you could find an affordable harley?? not likely.
                      don't be put off too much by size, I am the same size as you.
                      larger bikes feel more stable than smaller ones,
                      lot's of older goldwings around, at reasonable prices.
                      with the flat four engine and the fuel tank under the seat. the cg is quite low, dead reliable and they look good naked or dressed.
                      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

I may have an opportunity to pick up a BMW...cheep.......Any thoughts on the bikes?
                        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                          I may have an opportunity to pick up a BMW...cheep.......Any thoughts on the bikes?
                          Thanks
                          Depends on which BMW....
                          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Working...
                          X