ZRX 1200 question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZRX 1200 question...

What is the problem with these machines? I see them popping up for less than $2800 with minimal mileage. These are the old "standard" style bike. Is that the reason they are selling for so little?
    It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance. - Thomas Huxley

I have kind of noticed the same thing around here, not really sure.

Comment

I don't have a 1200 but I do own a ZRX1100 and I like it alot, the only complaint that I have is if you are a bigger person as I am the bike[ chassis ] is a little small. I call it my 1100 cc motard
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I don't know if it a problem with that machine but perhaps the slow economy is causing bike prices in general to be lower. You should PM TheCafeKid he has a ZRX.

Comment

Not sure on the economy thing but I know there are better bangs for your buck. I went toe to toe with a guy on a 1200 with my 08 FZ1 ( 998cc) and he could not touch me from a 50mph roll on..I literally tractored away from the dude on 3 different attempts. Even on long straights he was no match.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2012, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
            Not sure on the economy thing but I know there are better bangs for your buck. I went toe to toe with a guy on a 1200 with my 08 FZ1 ( 998cc) and he could not touch me from a 50mph roll on..I literally trackered away from the dude on 3 different attempts. Even on long straights he was no match.
            Joe, I understand those FZ's are basically R1's in sheep's clothing... right? I want/need one bad bad.
            '80 GS1000ST
            '92 ZX-11
            Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
              I don't have a 1200 but I do own a ZRX1100 and I like it alot, the only complaint that I have is if you are a bigger person as I am the bike[ chassis ] is a little small. I call it my 1100 cc motard
              I bought my 2001 ZRX for about the same reasons I bought the '81 GS1100e.

Relatively inexpensive large displacement naked standards.

The ZRX does feel like a small knife compared to the GS hand sledge. Still, like um both.

I do agree however that the prices on the ZRXs do seem to have dropped faster than other models. I suspect most people that would want a 1200 sport bike would not want a 'standard' type bike. Other than that I don't really know. I recommend the ZRX1100 to all my cheap buddies that want a big fast bike.

My '81 GS is essentially done; just 50 pilots and Daytona bars. I had the ZRX 1200 dyno'd and it now runs really well and came back with a 125 hp at Denver altitude.

I thinkin the '81 GS needs to be in the buck thirty/buck thirty five range... Only fair. Maybe next year.

Comment

Not sure on the economy thing but I know there are better bangs for your buck. I went toe to toe with a guy on a 1200 with my 08 FZ1 ( 998cc) and he could not touch me from a 50mph roll on..I literally trackered away from the dude on 3 different attempts. Even on long straights he was no match.
                While I'd much rather have a fuel injected standard bike like the FZ1, ZRX 1100s can be had for $2-$3K and 1200s for $3-$4K. Not sure how much 08 FZ1s are going for but ZRX bikes sure do sound like pretty good bang for the buck in the standard bike context.

I'm sure your description of FZ1 performance is accurate. But isn't the FZ1 even more knee up and bent over riding position than the ZRX?

The B-King is an interesting bike, but it too is kind f knee up and is well, hideous - IMHO.

But I like evaluation of bang for the buck; that is a very big factor for me in most everything - especially bikes.

Comment

Never rode a a ZRX but MCNews rated the ZRX 1200 almost a 5 out of 5 in almost every category. Early ZRX 1100's had cam pitting problems not sure when Big K fixed it
                  1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                  Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post
                    While I'd much rather have a fuel injected standard bike like the FZ1, ZRX 1100s can be had for $2-$3K and 1200s for $3-$4K. Not sure how much 08 FZ1s are going for but ZRX bikes sure do sound like pretty good bang for the buck in the standard bike context.

I'm sure your description of FZ1 performance is accurate. But isn't the FZ1 even more knee up and bent over riding position than the ZRX?

The B-King is an interesting bike, but it too is kind f knee up and is well, hideous - IMHO.

But I like evaluation of bang for the buck; that is a very big factor for me in most everything - especially bikes.
                    Straight up position with handlebars here is a pic of mine..

Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2012, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
                      Joe, I understand those FZ's are basically R1's in sheep's clothing... right? I want/need one bad bad.
                      Yes sir, early R1 engines, fuel injected, inverted forks alot a muscle in an upright rider...A sleeper for sure
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2012, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Straight up position with handlebars here is a pic of mine..

Very nice. That is at a whole different level than my two 'standards'.

I guess the US market requires standard bikes to have a minimum amount of plastic. It would be nice to have one with less covering.

Also a bit less knee bend would be nice.

I don't tour or commute on my standards so my riding is mostly confined to day long runs in the mountains; when I get to ride at home... A standard bike like the FZ1 or the Kaw Z1000 would be great with the FI and contemporary design. But I'm thinkin the next bike will be a Road King with an HD 120r motor.

In any case, great bike that looks like it would be a blast to ride.

Would it be rude to ask what oen of those might be going for?

Comment

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post
                          Very nice. That is at a whole different level than my two 'standards'.

I guess the US market requires standard bikes to have a minimum amount of plastic. It would be nice to have one with less covering.

Also a bit less knee bend would be nice.

I don't tour or commute on my standards so my riding is mostly confined to day long runs in the mountains; when I get to ride at home... A standard bike like the FZ1 or the Kaw Z1000 would be great with the FI and contemporary design. But I'm thinkin the next bike will be a Road King with an HD 120r motor.

In any case, great bike that looks like it would be a blast to ride.

Would it be rude to ask what oen of those might be going for?
                          I see them in the 4500 range frequently depends on mods and mileage, mine is heavily modded..

- The european model has no plastic up front, just a headlight.

Comment

I see them in the 4500 range frequently depends on mods and mileage, mine is heavily modded..

- The european model has no plastic up front, just a headlight.
                            Well I have to admit, $4500 is a great bang for the buck with the FZ1; assuming one can tolerate the knee bend.

I have about $3500 into my ZRX and I'm doing a Racetech suspension mod this winter. So figure about $4K total. Good bike for the money but for $500 more the FZ1 really kills.

A Euro headlight, loose some plastic, maybe drop the foot pegs a bit... Hmmm.

I have seen higher mileage ZRX 1100s for $2K which is also a good bang for the buck. Like most things in life bang and or buck are relative.
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2012, 06:52 AM.

Comment

I think the reason the ZRX doesn't hold it's value as well as some of the other standards of the same era is its' retro styling. While the retro styling attacts a certain group of riders, it is a turn-off for many others. The ones who want the retro look in a modern motorcycle for the most part have them, or have had them and moved on to other cycles.
                              JP
                              1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                              1992 Concours
                              2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                              2007 FJR

Comment

Working...
                              X