Ultimate back from the dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimate back from the dead?

So I'm thinking about challenging myself and trying to bring this cb400four back from scrap metal status. This bike has been laying in my dad's barn for about 20 years, I remember when it ran, actually remember him riding it. It has no title, was bought as a parts bike, and is missing MANY parts. The engines is not frozen surprisingly! It has some kind of big bore kit I'm told, and aftermarket cams, no clue on the details.

Anyway, thought I'd share some pictures. Im just going to try and start it first and go from there, if it wakes up. And correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to have clubmans on it, Haha. Back front the 80's!

Women and children and those with weak stomachs may not be suited to view the pictures to follow...

She's dead isn't she? I'm just curious if I can even get it to run again, looking for a challenge! And its free... should be fun! The bike I learned to street ride on was what this thing was bought to donate parts to, so this thing means a bit to me, the cb400four I learned on was sold years ago.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-04-2012, 12:26 AM.

uummmmmm.........wow. The thing that surprises me the most is the fact that you're going to try and start it first!
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Well, I guess to do this right I should take a sawzall to the frame first right?

It's just a chunk of scrap metal, heck if that old engine breathes again I'll name it Lazarus I need to go through the electronics first and foremost and see what is missing, I don't even know if the carbs can be salvaged, might be easier to buy a set off ebay or something. Stock parts are everywhere for these things! Everyone and their grandma is chopping these bikes up for cafe looks, so most everything seems easy to find. I'm bringing it home tomorrow and pressure washing it to see what I really have hiding under 20 years of dirt and spider webs. I have a set of basically brand new Comstar wheels that will probably find their way on it, the original rims are rotted pretty good.

I just think it would be awesome to get it going, and carry a picture in my wallet of what it looks like right now to show people.

Comment

looks like it's been stored near cow poop. that's very corrosive. i'm gonna watch this thread though because i've got one of those same bikes i'm planning on working on soon. it's been sitting outside for a few years. good luck
        2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
        82 gs1100L probably the next project
        1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
        1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Do you have the tank for it somewhere?

Unless you can find a title for it, I wouldn't put too much effort into restoring it. If anything, find another 400F or even a 350F that has a title.
          The big bore kit will give you 466cc's - from what I've heard they are Japanese reproductions of the Yosh originals.

Comment

Great bikes and with the history i can understand you taking on this project.
            www.sohc4.net is a great site for the little Honda.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I am with Big Rich on this one. If your intent is to get it back on the street, you had better check to see that you can get it registered. Not having a title might only be a problem if you need to transfer ownership. Since it is "still in the family", that might not be a problem, but check into the registration before putting a whole lot of time and/or money into the restore.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A common weak spot on these bikes is the frame rail area where the side stand attaches.
                Moisture can collect and rot the frame from the inside. An area to check on yours and and a new frame if that is the direction you go in.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Aww... Is it really that bad? Sure the seat's toast, the tank is probably toast, the frame could be iffy, and you're going to need a 55 gallon drum of PB for those fasteners, but a lot of that looks like garden variety barn funk! GO FOR IT!

If I understood your intentions from the OP, this is more of a "see if it can run" experiment at this point than it is "put it in the road" sort of thing. The absolute great thing about situations like this is the experience to be gained even if it never starts, and the tremendous self-satisfaction if it does. Besides, given the state of the bike currently, you should have no qualms with anything that comes of it all. Chop it, drop it, whatever your imagination can come up with.

I will second Steve's comment about registration though. Just concentrate on animating Frankenstein at this point. If you do get it running, THEN stop and figure out the registration. No sense throwing money at it beyond just getting it running if it can't get it plated at the DMV. Resurect, register, then rebuild.

Comment

At a MINIMUM I would do is get the carbs done up and throw a gravity bottle to her and see what happens...beyond that I wouldnt do squat till i heard some noise. Heres a little diddy that will save you many many hours when and if you get around to replating the fork tubes and all the other bits..

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Man that will take a lot of time, effort and money. All worth while if the bike is worth much when finished, but this one's not. Restoring this relic will likely cost more than buying a new bike. Keep it for parts, get one in better shape to restore, save a couple years of your life for something more interesting than removing rust and corrosion.

P.S., I hate rust and corrosion.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

A little chrome polish and it'll be like new....

Realistically, it's a parts bike or worse. I would salvage what you can and junk the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Sojourner View Post
                          Aww... Is it really that bad? Sure the seat's toast, the tank is probably toast, the frame could be iffy, and you're going to need a 55 gallon drum of PB for those fasteners, but a lot of that looks like garden variety barn funk! GO FOR IT!

If I understood your intentions from the OP, this is more of a "see if it can run" experiment at this point than it is "put it in the road" sort of thing. The absolute great thing about situations like this is the experience to be gained even if it never starts, and the tremendous self-satisfaction if it does. Besides, given the state of the bike currently, you should have no qualms with anything that comes of it all. Chop it, drop it, whatever your imagination can come up with.

I will second Steve's comment about registration though. Just concentrate on animating Frankenstein at this point. If you do get it running, THEN stop and figure out the registration. No sense throwing money at it beyond just getting it running if it can't get it plated at the DMV. Resurect, register, then rebuild.

+1 on all points.

I've done this very thing at least twice myself, with bikes every bit as bad. The satisfaction is great, plus the experience is great. Particularly on a "don't-care" bike like this. The skills you gain will be much appreciated when you go to use 'em on a "DO care" machine some day.

Animate first, then register, then get 'er on the road.

Comment

This I gotta see.

Good luck with it.

Spyug

Comment

You'll find worse on Craigslist.

"Mint condition, vintage motorcycle, needs tune-up, slight miss at around 4,000 r.p.m., needs seat recovered, serious buyers only. No lowballers."
                              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                              __________________________________________________ ______________________
                              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
                              X