Dry wet clutch....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry wet clutch....

My wife's DR 200 has had a rough, grippy, grabby clutch since she got it. You just can't start out smoothly from a stop, it can't be done. Opened it up today, the clutch plates were dry, no sign of any oil except a little bit where the lowest side of each plate was sitting, just a little oil on each plate on the lower side.

Soaked the plates in oil and threw it back together, now it's silky smooth as it should be, a perfectly functioning clutch.

WTF? How can a clutch be dry on a running motorcycle? There is oil pumped directly into the clutch hub, isn't there? It has operated the same even after a 120 mile plus mountain ride on dirt and highways with a big guy whipping the snot out of it trying to keep up with bigger bikes, or with my wife just putting around for hours. Anyone seen this before?

Life is too short to ride an L.

I don't know if the clutch has a pressure feed, but I don't think so, I think these clutches essentially run dry because of centrifugal force, and rely on only a little oil splashing about to provide a tiny bit of lube.
    I know some think it runs in a bath, but I think the clutch hub runs above the oil level and you cant have summat spinning and frothing the oil up.
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
      I don't know if the clutch has a pressure feed, but I don't think so, I think these clutches essentially run dry because of centrifugal force, and rely on only a little oil splashing about to provide a tiny bit of lube.
      I know some think it runs in a bath, but I think the clutch hub runs above the oil level and you cant have summat spinning and frothing the oil up.
      I thought oil was pumped in through the hollow shaft?

Comment

Does Cliffs welcome package have any links in the "other manuals" stuff? maybe that would tell if its a wet or dry sump clutch???
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Googled DR200 service manual and found this...maybe???

1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

A zcommando clutch runs essentially dry in a wet case. The oil lubes the primary chain. It is essential on those to not overfill the primary case.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Just talking about wet clutches in general, doesn't the oil come in through the transmission shaft?

Comment

I would think that on the GS, at least, the vast majority is just sling oil from the galley the clutch basket flywheel passes thru and messes with the crank..Thats the most obvious place I would think of .Doesnt need to be submerged ..just kept wet.

Comment

Is the 200 oil in frame like the DR350 or 'conventional' oil in the gearbox liek the DR125 (we never officially got the 200)? If it's the latter, the clutch works just like one on a GS and it should be wet with oil from running in an oil bath.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

It is a regular wet sump like a GS. If this is true I don't see how it could ever get dry. It has always had the correct amount of oil in it.
                    Last edited by tkent02; 10-13-2012, 03:18 PM.

Comment

looking at the clutch assembly on my GS (through the clutch window cover) the clutch sits in the oil about 3/4" when not running.
                      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

My lad had a DR125 as a learner so I presume it's the same as that then. The clutch should be wet from running in the oil bath - a bit of splish-splash etc. As long as the oil level is ok I can't see how it shouldn't be wet.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer
                        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          I thought oil was pumped in through the hollow shaft?
                          Don't know, sorry. (Iwouldn't have thought so)
                          I do know that I've stripped old GS's have had very dry and light rust on the clutch plates.
                          No old two strokes have forced oil in their clutches. Same set up.
                          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                            Don't know, sorry. (Iwouldn't have thought so)
                            I do know that I've stripped old GS's have had very dry and light rust on the clutch plates.
                            No old two strokes have forced oil in their clutches. Same set up.
                            All true....

OK.

How would a bike that's been run quite a bit recently get a dry clutch from day one?
                            Before we got it this bike was used 1,400 miles by a beginner rider training place.
                            1400 miles is a lot of laps around a few cones...
                            Maybe they replaced the clutch plates and never soaked them in oil before assembly?

And I have unstuck clutches that have sat for years without taking them apart, within a few seconds the clutch is working smoothly as it should.

again, WTF?
                            Last edited by tkent02; 10-13-2012, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Dunno, I think they rely on the small amount of oil mist/splash, I'm sure they don't spin in the oil.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X