1992 GSX1100G project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1992 GSX1100G project

After a massive multi-state (well actually 2, since that is where like 90% of all shaft-drive models for sale are located ) search and lots of help from our outstanding members, I have bought my next Suzuki.

It is a red 1992 GSX1100G. While I was looking at continuing the plan for world domination (see sig), an affordable 1100G/GK could not be found within reasonable distance. The deciding factor on the GSX-G was the factory fairing on it. This part alone is over $800 and has to come from England.

This post will be a place keeper/intro for the project. I have some pics of parts of it thanks to our member in Indiana, but will take and post some overall shots once it gets here.

I've been stockpiling some items that I know it will need, such as tires & a battery. By not being in a hurry for them, I can save some cash. This is why the transport is taking so long, but they were $150 under my original quotes, and have a good rep on uship.

I received word from the shipper that it has been picked up today and will be here in a week to 10 days.

Can't wait to see pictures. Popcorn ready.

Comment

Is that the one that was on Chicago craigslist?

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
        Is that the one that was on Chicago craigslist?
        Yes. We worked out a deal for a good bit less than he was asking.

Comment

The transporter emailed and they are running early. The GSX-G should be here in about 12 hours. Will post some pics after I get it unloaded.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
            Yes. We worked out a deal for a good bit less than he was asking.
            Good for you. FWIW, the intake boot O-rings and the hardware for the GS1100G are the same and can be had from Robert Barr for cheap. There was a vendor on ebay a while back that was selling kits with the rest of the orings for the carbs.

Also, when you take the carbs apart get #10 here ahead of time. Ask me how I know.

Comment

Thanks for the tips & info.

Comment

The transport service, Ten Toes Trucking, was A-1. They said they'd be here at 11, and they were early by about 5 minutes. The driver/owner was really decent, I plan on writing a good review for them on uship & here.

The bike is certainly crusty and project material. It has a good feel to it though size wise. I was expecting it to be larger & heavier.

Here are some pics:

Unloading at 11:00:04:

Right side:

Left side:

Family photo #1:

Family photo #2:

Lots of crud in the fairing:

Fairing off, getting ready to pull the carbs, way easier than on a Sabre:
                Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2012, 03:29 PM.

Comment

The bike is mostly complete. So far the biggest obstacle I see are the missing pocket covers and the inner plastic part of the fairing being cracked by one of the pockets and warped in the top center. The odometer shows 7700+ miles.

There are a few bolts missing, like one of the tank hold downs, but so far everything has come apart easily. The throttles opened and the choke cable worked (although the mounting part for the housing was cracked).

I put in my new battery, and all the lights except the left front turn signal/running light and one of the tail light bulbs work. The front brake switch is bad.

I used my pressure washer to get rid of the crud and old wasp nests in the fairing.

I thought for sure this was a repaint, as nothing I've seen shows this color being available for '92. All of the parts except the tank have good quality paint on them, and I don't see anything on places like the side covers where it was ever another color.

It looks like the plan will include (in no order):
                  Flush & change fluids, new filters
                  Adjust valves
                  Clean & rebuild carbs
                  Redo the brakes- will add SS hoses
                  Strip the tank & reseal/repaint
                  Find or build a luggage rack, add a trunk (need to haul more than 4 pounds on occasion)
                  Refinish exhaust headers (sandblast/ceramic black Techline)
                  Front brake switch
                  Soak cylinders w/ Marvel oil (did not try to turn it over yet)
                  Rebuild forks w/ progressive springs & reseal
                  Tires & bearings (have new)
                  Battery (have new)
                  Electrical-bulbs
                  Added gauges for fairing

I'm sure more will turn up as I go along.
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2012, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Looks like you've got a nice project there. I'd try to get it running first before putting a lot of time and money into bodywork. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

Comment

I'm concentrating on the carbs & fuel system first. Good thing, as the bowls were loaded with crystallized old gas. I'm trying a lemon juice & water solution in my ultrasonic cleaner to see how it works on this stuff. I don't think they have ever been messed with, it looked like some residual marking paint on some of the heads underneath the rack. According to the shop manual I bought (1992 supplement portion), they spec out almost as they should for 49-state jetting:
                      Model: 26D1 ("E-03" or US model)
                      Main 120
                      Needle jet O-6
                      Pilot #30
                      Pilot air 1.25 (manual shows no listing)

I plan on replacing all fuel hoses and more than likely the pump, presuming there is an affordable aftermarket one I can adapt like I did on the Sabre.

I got some acetone to try & dissolve the old coating in the tank, and some Caswell two-part epoxy for when it is gone- presuming there are no holes.

I watched a video about a fellow unsticking an engine by pumping Marvel Mystery Oil into cylinders and am going to try a modified version of that. I have not tried to turn the engine over yet, want to soak the cylinders with Marvel first.

All indications are this bike has not been used since 1998 or so- that is when the tag that was still on it shows as expiring. Sad, it was only 6 years old or less at the time. The seat on it is in very good condition, probably the biggest surprise so far.

For the fairing, with some artistry with fiberglass, I think the damage could be repaired. The alternative is to adapt a BMW one like the fellow out west did. I'll try to salvage what I have first.

I'm also researching adding a better gauge panel, such as one from a GS750ES or 1150ES or possibly an aftermarket one. Like the GSX, both are cable driver speedometers and electronic tachs. They have more functions (oil temp added) and a gear position indicator (GPI). For posterity, the GS750ES oil temp sender is discontinued, but it looks like the VDO senders that are 10-180 ohms from 150-50 Celsius are very close to the factory specs of 13-117 for 150-60 Celsius.

The fuel gauges are the same resistance range.

The GPI would require some work to adapt since the GSX has no switch I'm aware of. Odd how a ten year older GS has better features.

EDIT for carb pics:
                      Bowl full of crud:

After ultrasonic cleaning with lemon juice & water:
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-25-2012, 01:18 AM.

Comment

The good news is the motor is not seized, and apparently has at least some compression since it shot the Marvel oil out when I turned the crank slowly with a wrench.

The bad news is there were only 3 spark plugs in it. Plus, a dumb design. If I didn't have the plug tool for the Sabre, I'd have never got them out, even a 13/16 socket I had ground down wouldn't fit.

It's clean inside the valve cover, another good sign.

I'm making headway on the carbs, but will need some small parts and some o-rings that were not in the kits I bought. They are coming out pretty clean, but there's nothing I can do with the corrosion in the float bowls. I may put them in my blast cabinet and see what some aluminum oxide does.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
                          Plus, a dumb design. If I didn't have the plug tool for the Sabre, I'd have never got them out, even a 13/16 socket I had ground down wouldn't fit.
                          I noticed that also, luckily mine still had the original tool kit with the suzuki spark plug tool.

Comment

While browsing the parts listings, I saw where the toolkit was supposed to be and voila! There it was.

I got the brakes pulled today and noticed the front calipers are the same ones I have added to my GS1000 bikes. We've got great weather here so I should be able to get a good bit done in the next few days.

Comment

Wait a minute, are you saying the calipers on the big g will fit the old shafties?

Comment

Working...
                              X