Yamaha Seca 750 Touring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamaha Seca 750 Touring?

Working with a guy right now that has a bike in his garage I've never seen... Early 80's Yamaha Seca 750 with a factory front fairing, side bags and top trunk.

Unique looking bike, hasn't been registered in 6 years, might be able to get it pretty cheap... Shaft drive, and real small for what you'd normally see a 750 size-wise, damn near a moped, haha!

Anyone know anything about these? I can't find more than one or two pictures of one online, kinda leads me to think it's pretty rare?

Oh, after 20 minutes of searching, I finally found ONE friggin picture, and it's at a stupid angle...

Comment

My friend had one back in the day, sans.fairing. Nice bike.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Different strokes…

Shut up, That is a very cool lean angle…
        Anyway, you can learn and buy all you need for a Seca 750 on this forum: http://xjbikes.com/Forums
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I've had a few XJ's over the years - they're hard to kill and they do everything pretty well. They just look fugly - but that is part of their "sleeper" charm.
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I have a XJ650 Seca. It has been used on a number of tours. I bought two new XJ650's in the 80's. The Hitachi carburetors get clogged up even more easily than Mikunis, and are no more difficult to clean. The 750 motor fits into the 650.

Nice bikes. The engines have a jackshaft which makes them more compact than a GS motor.

The 650 Secas I have owned do not have the really prominent shaft effect jacking that is so pronounced on the XS 750, 850, and 1100.
            Last edited by 850 Combat; 10-18-2012, 10:24 AM.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Well, looks like I'll be bringing this thing home soon. Getting it for free. Hasn't been registered in 6 years.

Seriously, even on the XJ forums, it's damn near impossible to find one with the full fairing and 3-piece bag set.

Comment

Can't go wrong with a free bike.

Comment

Good for you. Its really pretty neat.

Comment

I would just LOVE to have one myself. I would be all over it like stink on chit!!!!
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                      I have a XJ650 Seca. It has been used on a number of tours. I bought two new XJ650's in the 80's. The Hitachi carburetors get clogged up even more easily than Mikunis, and are no more difficult to clean. The 750 motor fits into the 650.
                      So does the 900. So does the Maxim X too, with a bit of work. They are about as interchangeable as Suzukis in that respect. I'd have to say that a nice clean 650 Seca with the 900 or liquid cooled X motor would be very far up the list of bike's I'd like to build. Contrary to what others may think, the 650 and 900 Secas are pretty nice looking to my eye.

Comment

Why swap:if you don't have to.

I like the Xj900 plenty.
                        I had a XJ750 as a project, turned out nice.
                        Those XJ engines sound wicked cool too!

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Should be picking it up in the next day or two here, will post pics as soon as possible.

Comment

If the right 900 Seca crossed my path, I would pick it up. They sold 650 Secas in Canada for longer than they did in the US. I've seen red ones there.

The 650 had an 8" round headlght. I'm hoarding a couple spares.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                              I like the Xj900 plenty.
                              I had a XJ750 as a project, turned out nice.
                              Those XJ engines sound wicked cool too!

Yep, that turbine whirring of an XJ has a wonderful ethereal quality to it, almost like a blower.

Comment

Working...
                              X