Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Registering a replacement motorcycle frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registering a replacement motorcycle frame?

Hey guys-

Has anyone ever tried to register a motorcycle or other roadgoing vehicle that has a replacement frame with no VIN? The reason I ask is that there's a brand new, never used GSXR 1000 frame I'm interested in. I mean, brand new - has the Suzuki part number sticker on it and everything. It's going for a good price. I'd like to possibly turn it into a roadgoing bike.

Is possible to get a VIN for this frame, and worth the hassle with the DMV? I have no reason to suspect that the frame is stolen.

Pics:

Normally the VIN on a late model Gixxer frame would be stamped on the neck where the rectangle is. This is a new frame so it doesn't yet have a VIN number.

Still has the part number sticker on it:

Take it to your local DMV and show them, see what they say.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I would stamp my old numbers on it and call it good.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        I would stamp my old numbers on it and call it good.
        I should add that I'd be building this bike from scratch from the frame up, so there's no existing VIN or title.

Comment

Then stamp a 1 on it!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Then stamp a 1 on it!
            Yeah like 000000001
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Here in Ca you would have to have it inspected by the Highway Patrol- They would issue a vin #

Comment

buy a junk/wrecked/cheep parts bike with title.

Stamp #s on frame.

Destroy other frame so nothing bad ever happens.

ride bike

Comment

A new frame from a dealer should come with a certificate of origin or a MSO or whatever your state calls it. Your DMV will take that certificate and issue a VIN for it. I don't think you will get far with DMV without the original paperwork.

Comment

i would pass over the hassle.
                    you may end up with a "rebuilt" or "self assembled" title or no title at all.
                    just try something else..
                    oh,
                    and stamping or re-stamping can put you in prison for vin tampering.
                    i speak the truth!

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                      i would pass over the hassle.
                      you may end up with a "rebuilt" or "self assembled" title or no title at all.
                      just try something else..
                      oh,
                      and stamping or re-stamping can put you in prison for vin tampering.
                      i speak the truth!
                      Yeah, I let this one go. A clean titled frame with an existing VIN is 2 or more times the price but infinitely less hassle if it's to be a street vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                      X