November BOM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

November BOM

Great looking bike and story. Not sure if I've ever seen that colour blue before but I sure like it. Anyways, well done on keeping another one mint!!
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Damn, that's a pretty bike!
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Rob,

You've seen that color before. I have a 1980 GS850G with the 1981 color on it.

...or just click the thumbnail in my sig.

I thought for a second that Frank had pulled out one of my pictures for this month. Alas, not.

But this month's submission is a great looking GS850G, almost all original. It even has the tail light trim, but not the seat trim. Congrats on a fine bike.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Great looking bike! Yes, those trim pieces at the bottom of the seat are a problem! Some of the pins on mine broke off as well, but father-in-law, who was well versed in tying fishing line knots, used some transparent fishing line to tie loops around the trim and through the mounting hole for the pins.

The exhausts seem to be in very good condition. Wish I could find a set in that condition!
        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

That's a great looking bike, I always thought the 850G was one of prettiest motorcycles ever produced.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Very nice. Love the fork gaiters.
            Congrats to the owner!
            McLoud
            '79 GS850
            `98 GSF1200 Bandit
            sigpic
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Yes, Suzuki really nailed it when they designed that era, arguably the sharpest looking motorcycles ever made. It has always been the standard by which I judge the appearance of other bikes.

I've wondered what could be substituted for that seat trim. It's just amazing what a difference that makes on these bikes.

Nice specimen!
              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
              __________________________________________________ ______________________
              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                Yes, Suzuki really nailed it when they designed that era, arguably the sharpest looking motorcycles ever made. It has always been the standard by which I judge the appearance of other bikes....
                I'm totally biased, and I agree. Suzuki's designs have clean and functional lines. They don't need gaudy ornamentation because their lines are so clean. The other motorcycle makers of the era, excepting BMW, have a slapped-together appearance. So, GS Suzukis have an appearance that has become classic.
                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I don't mean to sound dense, but where are the pictures of the bikes in this section? I keep reading the "great bike" replys but where the heck are they?

Comment

The bike of the month "BOM" is on the gsr home page.

It is a beauty, alright!
                    I had an '82 850, but this one is a better colour.
                    Last edited by gsgeezer; 11-06-2012, 09:08 AM.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Congrats to the owner. That is one beautiful bike! Anf love the Gators too!
                      No signature

Comment

Dem gators luks harmles, to.

1979 GS1000

Comment

This bike left me drooling.

Comment

Thanks to GSGeezer for pointing me to all the BOM pictures. A couple of things struck me; one is how long the forum has been going. I looked through a decade of pictures. As expected the big bikes have dominated BOM (it took me several years to get to a GS450 and never did see a 78 400 which I romanticize as my first bike).

But the second thing that strikes me is the enormous amount of work put into these when the appreciation that is realized is shared by very few, and mostly just the owner. I know what restoration is like, I do it every winter. It is hard, dirty, frustrating work, and sometimes expensive. Does anyone know what a Wiseco is? Why would someone paint a damn motor?

I think that the late 70s to mid 80s were the best for motorcycling. Obviously Suzuki got it. Honda got it. KZ900 anyone? Midnight Special? They all kind of look the same now. Surely mechanically better, and of course there will be "old bike guys" in 2050. But I think that the period of time we deal with is comparable with 50s cars, or late 60s muscle cars. And I want to thank God that someone still makes a clutch cable for a 1978 GS750, and carburetor parts when the world has gone fuel injection.

Comment

This is a very nice looking bike. Congrats to the owner. If someone is looking for one to restore, there is one on Craig's list in Colorado Springs, same color a little more wear.
                              "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                              GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                              1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                              1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                              1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Working...
                              X