I found this snowmobile at the dump!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this snowmobile at the dump!

I was dropping a load of shingles off at the local dump in the spring and saw a 1989 Arctic Cat Jag 340 Deluxe with 4000 miles on the dial sitting beside the scrap metal pile.
    It was sitting nice and tall so I could tell the suspension wasn't beat out of it.
    I walked over and popped the hood and found it was complete, but the heads had been unbolted.
    I figured it probably needed to be rebuilt.

I asked the manager of the dump if he'd sell it, he said "if you want it, take it."

I figured if it took less than $300 or so to get it going well, it'd be worth it.
    It got pushed into a back corner of the garage and forgotten about as right around then I bought my GS.

So with the bike now put away and the snow falling it was time to dig into it.

First thing I did was buy gas lines, and three bolts for the heads (the rest were in the tool compartment).
    Once I got the heads bolted on (gaskets were still good) I gave it a few tugs and found the compression was way above the factory minimum!

So then I moved on to spark. No spark at all.
    The keyed ignition had been bypassed with an on/off switch.
    I tested the usual things (stator, coil, r/r etc.)the usual ways in the electrical system and found the kill switch and the on/off switch to be faulty.
    I removed the switch bypassing the ignition and just ran a jumper across the ignition plug, then unplugged and jumped the kill switch.
    And then there was spark!

I opened up and cleaned out both the VM30 carb and Mikuni pulse fuel pump and reinstalled them with all new lines.
    I mixed some 50:1 in a plastic soda bottle and put in the line going to the pump.
    A few pulls and she fired up!

So I had a running sled for just under $5!!
    Once I knew it ran I found an ebay seller with new parts and ordered all the little stuff it needed.

I cleaned out the water and rust filled plastic fuel tank (something metal had rotted in there), and filled it up with fuel.
    Took it for a few rips around the property, but it started to be a beast to start, and would not idle at all.

I checked the fuel pump and found it was leaking gas into the pulse line, which both lowered the vacuum at the carb and flooded the engine.
    There was a second pump in the tool compartment, so I opened it up and salvaged the diaphragm out of it.
    I also went through the carb again and found the pilot circuit was still dirty
    Once that was fixed it started in a couple pulls, and after some fine tuning it idled fairly well.

I installed all the parts I ordered including oil tank cap, gas cap, ignition (yay, keys!) choke cable and leaver, spark plugs, proper length pull cord, fuel filter and hood latch brackets.
    All brand new parts and all for under $75!

It has electric start (hense the 'Deluxe' in the name) but the starter is pooched, so getting a new one is on my to do list, along with ski-skins, drive belt, windshield, light bulbs and carbide wear bars.

Today was my first chance to go ripping around on it, but just in case something broke down I stayed close to home.
    Still managed to put 10kms on it and had no problems at all.

It's top speed with me on it is 45-50mph!
    The track and sliders are in great shape and the speedo still works!
    The crank seals are good, the drive chain and gears show minimal wear, The hood looks rough but is still solid and in one piece.
    The seat is kind of rough, but nothing black duct tape wont fix.

Nice toy for under $100!

Oh, the motor is a Suzuki Spirit 2-stroke twin, single carb.

Tank

Good score Tank. I think it counts as Northern Saskatchewan motorcycle for the Riding Game.
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
      Good score Tank. I think it counts as Northern Saskatchewan motorcycle for the Riding Game.
      heck yeah! and with a Suzuki engine to boot!
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Been a few years since I have been on a sled.
        With a good track on and some skill you can take them anywhere even across water, through the woods, up mountains.
        Might want to put some chains around skis if your planning any steep mountain rides, for the trip down.
        Attach enough chain to the pull bar in front of skid/ski both ends of chain with just enough to not wack your stabilizer.
        If the snow is icy or real fast just put the loop under skid and it will help you to keep a slower pace coming down.
        The only problems i have really had is to much snow yup you heard me right to much snow!
        Dress warm be prepared to hike if you have problems and have tons of fun.
        I am jealous not only of your find but knowing you have snow!

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
          Sure it does, that should apply to anyone unfortunate enough to live where you can't ride all winter.

Nice score, Tank. I love finding stuff like this.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

She's a beauty. I have had a couple of jags and old enticers and there a blast to beat on and they can take a beating. We drowned one once and when we pulled it out of the water and opened the top end we found the rod bent. Couple smacks with the sledge she was running like a top

Comment

That's great ! Good find.
              Never had a snowmoblie.

Comment

How does that thing work without wheels and what the heck is with all that white stuff on the ground...

Comment

I can see Crankthat's never been in Saskatewan.Mountains in Sack,LOL.

Comment

That's got to be the best garbage dump find I've heard about in a long time. They used to let us scrounge the dump but that privileged has come and gone a long time ago. Good job, and sucks to be you that you actually NEED a snowmobile. Hey didn't someone actually put a track on a GS once????....hhhmmmmmm
                    Rob
                    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Way to go Tank! Thanks for posting, that was a good read. Where I grew up I always had a snowmobile. Always said that if you think it's 'freedom' on a motorcycle then you should try snowmobiling. True freedom to go ANYWHERE! My last one was a 79 Palaris TX250 that I bought in 80 at age 14 from working a summer in tobacco. Yeah I earned that one!
                      I would love another one but no use for one around here.
                      No signature

Comment

Cool

I rebuilt the front and rear suspension on an '88 Polaris Indy Trail last winter. It was interesting. I would have been better off to buy a sled in better condition, but I've got rear suspension from a 650 and fox shocks now Fun stuff It works great now!
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

You'll probably go to the dump more often, who knows what you might find!
                          Good story.
                          In the spring you could trade it for a bike!
                          Or you could probably trade it for a bike now!
                          sigpic
                          Steve
                          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Thanks everybody. I've been at it a few weeks now and today was the day I finally got it idling good and put some miles on it, so I was real stoked and wanted to share!
                            Haha, northern Saskatchewan motorcycle, I love it!
                            I will be trying to get some tags with it though.
                            And not to worry, I'm not a fan of the cold so I have all the right gear to stay toasty warm no matter what.
                            When the daytime high is -36 you figure out real quick what works and what doesn't!

Speaking of good deals....

I just got back from picking up a 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX with the 4.6lt V8 that I bought for the low low price of $200!!!

It has a shot head gasket so oil ends up in the coolant.
                            PO got a quote of $1400 to fix it(it's a 9 hour job), and parked it instead.
                            It has sat for the last 5 years.
                            I can fix it myself for the price of parts, which is about $300.

Fully loaded, in fact it has every option that was available, except for the moon roof and leather seats.

Never been in a wreck, no dents, rust or scratches.

Even the interior is clean and smoke free.

Today has been a great day in Tankland!

Tank
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2012, 02:24 AM.

Comment

You are getting some good deals up there Tank. I've never been on a snowmobile but would love to ride one one day. Nice find on the T-bird, my mom had a green 95 and that thing would get up and go.

Comment

Working...
                              X