GSX oil cooler- aftermarket replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX oil cooler- aftermarket replacement

I'm rebuilding a 1992 GSX1100G and would like to replace the oil cooler hoses. They use regular banjo fittings at the block, but unique o-ring seals at the cooler, plus they dump into it from the top. The factory hoses are over $150 each.

The stock oil cooler is large, about 16" W x 8" H x 1.75" thick. I'm thinking about using a B&M Supercooler (about $80) in place of the stock cooler along with some AN8 braided hoses. I've used the Supercooler on some car projects with good results. It is tough ( I think this design is bar & plate as opposed to tube & fin) and would not require a screen in front of it.

The Supercooler is about 11" x 8.5" x 1.5", so it should fit OK- mounting will be easy due to the layout of the OEM cooler mounts. It can be adapted to AN fittings easily due to 1/2" pipe ports. I may also try to plumb in a thermostat while I'm at it, but the heat from the exhaust could affect it.

Any experience or opinions on this good or bad?

There was a thread on gixxer.com where a poster stated that he had installed a 9800 btu version, and that it was better than stock, no mention of what model it was installed on.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

just wondering can you take the hoses down to a hydrolic hose repair shop. they should be able to keep the ends and just replace the hose.

Comment

I ended up keeping the stock cooler & drilling & tapping it for 1/4 pipe to some 90 degree AN8 fittings. I cut off the banjo ends where I had enough straight pipe to use a tube nut & sleeve and have converted them to AN8 as well.

Comment

Working...
        X