Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool moped concept

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/30/h...cycle-eyes-on/

The concept, especially for big city commuting, is pretty cool. I like how nimble looking it is. But he's hoping for the $6000-8000 price range? Yikes. I think he's banking too much on the city hipster crowd there or something. Still bring the price down and it might have a chance. It's a cool design. Using the bicycle seat is an interesting idea too.

Yikes that is alot of money for a little bike. Much rather have one of these for 1/10th of the price.

Comment

From the design point of view it is very cool and well executed. Certainly a toy for the well off, and not cheap transport for the masses like most mopeds.

If this thing was electric I think it would have been way cooler though.

Comment

It has some electric capabilities. There is a battery in the front hub and an electric motor in the rear. Doubt it has much range, but it's nice to have options.

Comment

Seeing as Starbucks is selling a stainless steel gift certificate for $450 this year, I have a feeling that the hipster city crowd can afford an $8000 moped.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
            Seeing as Starbucks is selling a stainless steel gift certificate for $450 this year, I have a feeling that the hipster city crowd can afford an $8000 moped.
            And will be willing to pay it, too.

And I'll laugh and laugh ...

Comment

wow there a lot of trail on that thing..

Comment

I just want to see one going down the street. That is when I will bend over laughing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                  You might be confusing yuppies and hipsters. While true that you may see both intermingling at a Starbucks, but a hipster is only there because there isn't a cooler local grind around. The real distinction is apparent at the bars at night. The hipster is the bearded one in skinny jeans drinking a can of pbr because he can't afford anything else.
                  This is why they're a horrible market to go after. Maybe yuppies with hipster leanings might go for the mobike, however I don't see it taking off with either crowd.
                  -1980 GS1100 LT
                  -1975 Honda cb750K
                  -1972 Honda cl175
                  - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

The more I think about it and look at it, the more I believe this is going to go no where. It's an engineering/design study, nothing more. I think there are too many more affordable options, a regular bicycle, small displacement motorcycles, scooters, classic mopeds. All MUCH cheaper and with known, reliable tech.

Still a cool idea, but at that cost it just doesn't stand much of a chance except with those who have money to burn.

Comment

I agree. What it may do is inspire others to implement similar designs in more affordable packages. For example, I, personally, would not want to pedal a 160 pound machine. Remove that function, design a hybrid similar to automobile hybrids where the brakes generate electricity for the battery packs, and see where that goes. Also, turn the engine off when stopped like other hybrids (and golf carts) do.

Comment

While it's kind of interesting, there are a number of electric bicycles available that would work better in an urban environment. If you want something for outside urban areas, there are better choices. An electric bicycle using pedal assist can be had for around a grand, weighs roughly 75-100 lbs, goes around 25 mph, and has a range of around 20 miles.

I could get by with something like that for about half of my weekend errands. It isn't something that would replace a car or motorcycle, but as gas gets more expensive, it is a way to save your gasoline budget for more enjoyable trips.
                        JP
                        1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                        1992 Concours
                        2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                        2007 FJR

Comment

I'd rather get a 100cc scooter. Get 85mpg, be able to get out of someone's way. Or even a 50cc scooter, 125mpg, no insurance, driver's license or plate required.

Comment

I've thought about the scooters, but the 50-100cc ones have such a small frame that the seating would be cramped for me. Plus with the electric bicycles, you can take shortcuts through parks, use sidewalks, & other options on routes that are illegal for scooters. Both types of vehicles have their places, and everyone gets to choose whatever is the best fit for their needs.

I do feel that electric scooters will be viable options withing the next 5 years. Burgmans & Silverwings are large enough to comfortably hold a 6 footer, and should be able to fit large enough battery packs to give reasonable power/range plus luggage space to be a practical option running errands and short trips. Once I retire, I will keep a second car (mine) as long as it's running OK. When it goes, we will cut back to one car, plus as many two wheeled toys as I can keep without tempting my wife to kill me in my sleep.
                            JP
                            1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                            1992 Concours
                            2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                            2007 FJR

Comment

I saw this posted on another site, I would much rather have one of these.

Current model

Future model

Although I always think "Hugh Janus" when I see the name

Comment

Working...
                              X