New Winter Project Bike - Feedback wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Winter Project Bike - Feedback wanted

Ok, so I need a new project after finishing up the GS550M project. I really want a scrambler but cannot find a Suzuki anywhere near me after looking for over a month. However, this 1972 CL350 Honda came up on CL near me. Price sounds good but I know nothing about these old Honda's. What do you guys think? Is this a decent bike? Are old Honda's easy to work on and do they have good electronics and design?

Any input would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Sci85
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

They were decent bikes, good old reliable Honda stuff, nothing too fast or exciting but they were solid.
    They had a centrifugal oil separator thing instead of an old filter but I think the engines lasted a long time anyway unless you forgot to empty out the separator basket. Quite a few people I knew had them, never heard of problems.
    The 350 was faster than the later 360.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Centrifigual oil seperator? What the heck is that and how did it work?
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

It was a cup shaped screen that spins on the end of the crankshaft, the spinning let the oil through but not the heavier particles… Or something like that.
        It's been 35 years since I saw one or even thought about it.

Comment

I confirm that!
          My CB 77 has one of these centrifugal oil filters.
          I suppose it's the equivalent of a Dyson vacuum cleaner
          You'll be impressed by the quality of Honda engineering I'm sure!
          sigpicJohn Kat
          My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
          GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

I say go for it... there's enough people here who know something and there are a ****e load of guys over on Do the Ton who know them inside out as well (as long as you can wade through the cafes).

I think you know that's one of the bikes that inspired my 450

If the pipes on that are in as good a nick as they look, should be a good score!
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

John Kat, that is one sweet looking bike. What CC is that beauty? How does it ride?

Pete, I agree. The pipes look real good as does the rest of the bike from the picture. I think I will go take a look this weekend and see if I can negotiate the price down a bit. Your little 450 scrambler is actually what inspired my desire for one. I won't be satisifed until I own a scrambler
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

If originality is important this one looks all mixed up to me. I don't know if it's CL pipes on a CB, or CB body work on a CL, but the scramblers (CL) have different gas tanks than the CB.

Those scrambler pipes in good condition sell for 3-5 hundred on Ebay.

Check this link for photos

Comment

The owner stated it was a CB350 with the CL exhausts on it. The diffs are minor but you are correct the tank and left side panel are different between the two. Not a big deal in my book since niether one are really that sought after or worth much.

Did Suzuki ever make a scrambler larger than 250cc?

Anyone have an RG500 laying around they want to get rid oF cheap ;-)
                  1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Slow....heavy....not much suspension travel.....very quiet and relaxing.
                    I always wanted one of these for some reason. My older friend had one in high school. It was brand new. I always found Hondas nicely detail-oriented in their own time period.

Comment

Glad my 450's inspired you Sci

I'm still lovin' it but I'm really missing it at the moment... another week to go and I should have it back I hope!

So would you take it as is and just ride or would you be doing some alternative enhancements along the way?

There is a guy over on Do The Ton doing a Suzuki GN400 as a sort of scrambler and while it's incomplete it is looking quite awesome.

There's definitely plenty of inspiration around for a fun machine...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                        The owner stated it was a CB350 with the CL exhausts on it. The diffs are minor but you are correct the tank and left side panel are different between the two. Not a big deal in my book since niether one are really that sought after or worth much.

Did Suzuki ever make a scrambler larger than 250cc?

Anyone have an RG500 laying around they want to get rid oF cheap ;-)
                        RG500 and cheap, didn't know you could use those 2 words in the same sentence.
                        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

So would you take it as is and just ride or would you be doing some alternative enhancements along the way?
                          Initially I would leave it stock but eventually use it as a platform for something different. I am thinking I would like to hot rod it. Lighten it up, add some power. But who knows. I've never had one and I really like the look and want something with 2 cylinders and light weight. There's also a GT350 2 stroke available that might be a fun bike to do as well but they just don't have that scrambler look.
                          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

No, but they are WAY more fun to ride.

Comment

You know there's nothing wrong with getting the 380 and scrambling it right?

I've never ridden the CB or the GT, but from the little I know I reckon Tom's right and the GT would be a whole lotta fun!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X