Opinions on Kawasaki 1985 KZ1100 Ltd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on Kawasaki 1985 KZ1100 Ltd

I just got a lead on a clean, but not running, Kawasaki 1985 KZ1100 Ltd. Owner states two cylinders have no spark. I searched the web for info on this bike but can't find much info about it. Any advice on this specific model? Parts availability? Comfort? Reliability? Any info will be appreciated, I plan to look at it this weekend.

The LTD models were the equivalent of the GL models. Pretty bulletproof, parts about the same as the GS models, quite reliable.
    That price is really good, the body looks nice, I would recommend picking it up.
    Go to www.kzrider.com for some info, but they are not as active as this forum. And replace those Dunlops with something modern.

Comment

Having seen the pics, i would very surprised if that bike is still available on the weekend.
      Hopefully, coil packs are all it needs.
      Get yourself a Christmas present.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Kaws use the same configuration as Suzukis. One coil fires 1 & 4, the other fires 2 & 3.
        If you really need more info, go to kzrider and PM kz_rage. He has the standard model of the same bike. He likes it a lot, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          Kaws use the same configuration as Suzukis. One coil fires 1 & 4, the other fires 2 & 3.
          If you really need more info, go to kzrider and PM kz_rage. He has the standard model of the same bike. He likes it a lot, btw.
          Are the engines hard or soft mounted on the LTD?

Comment

That would be a question for kz_rage. I looked at a parts fiche and there does appear to be dampeners, but Jim would know for sure.

Comment

Great bikes for sure, not highly collectable or sought after, but if the price is right, I wouldn't mind owning one! Bullittproof KZ motors and good looks, I'd say get it!!!! I think this is an 83 or 84 but almost identical!

Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
              87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
              99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
              15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

I would like them if they weren't an "LTD".
                Of course you can un-LTD the thing, and make it look less like a "cruiser".
                Other than that, I like them.

1979 GS1000

Comment

google kawasaki ltd frame cracking, i think the problem was limited to the "Spectre" model. Up near the steering head.

Comment

kooley kid, eh? Not sure if I should answer that...
                    But seriously, I have no idea. It was the first forum I ever joined; I owned an 81 KZ750E at the time.
                    Let's do this: PM me your exact questions/statements and I will post it for you. Please include all pertinent information, year of bike, what is/is not happening, when it happened, etc.
                    There is also a GPz550 forum somewhere, the GPz engine is based on the KZ550.

Do you have a shop manual for the bike? I have two, 79-81 in very good shape, and 79-82 in fair shape. I would be happy to send them to you for just the cost of shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                      Having seen the pics, i would very surprised if that bike is still available on the weekend.
                      Hopefully, coil packs are all it needs.
                      Get yourself a Christmas present.
                      Had to wait until today to take a look. Bike is really clean, tank is immaculate, has all parts, perfect fit for a short rider like me; got it for $850! Nice winter project, merry Christmas to me! Will keep all posted on progress.

Comment

A good buy for sure. Once you get it running, it's worth $1800+ at the right time of year.

Easy to work on - overall very similar to the GS1100's.

I find that generation transmission a little clunky.

Comment

Working...
                        X