Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you remove a piston from a caliper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you remove a piston from a caliper?

I was able to get the piston out of one side (half) of the caliper by using the master cylinder to pump brake fluid in to the caliper. But, naturally, once one side came out, the other no longer had any pressure behind it. I have split the caliper in half so I'm left with the one side that has a piston in it. I've tried compressed air but it didn't budge. I'm open to suggestions.
    Willie
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

is it far enough out the caliper to get a pair of mole grips on it? soak it in wd40 or similar than grab it with the grips. try and clamp it on an edge or lip that does not come in contact with the seals, just in case you scratch it (unless you plan on replacing it,which case it doesn't matter)
    pull it out with a side to side twisting motion. it should ease out ok
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

What Agemax said or use a pair of screwdrivers to gently pry up on the lip of it until you can get in there with a set of pliers to finish pulling out.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
        I was able to get the piston out of one side (half) of the caliper by using the master cylinder to pump brake fluid in to the caliper. But, naturally, once one side came out, the other no longer had any pressure behind it. I have split the caliper in half so I'm left with the one side that has a piston in it. I've tried compressed air but it didn't budge. I'm open to suggestions.
        Willie

Compressed air!
        Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
        1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
        1977 GS400
        1974 Montesa 250
        1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Grease gun.

Comment

The last resort is to drill a largish hole (8mm-10mm) in the piston, tap a thread in the hole, insert a bolt and jack the piston out. While this destroys the piston, it is about the only way if compressed air doesn't budge it.

Comment

Thanks guys. Hard to believe but the piston doesn't have a groove or lip to get a screwdriver on to pry. Its also not out enough to getta grip with a visegrips. The other piston was in good shape and NOS parts for a '77 RD400 are tough to find. I tried compressed air before but it didn't budge. I'll try that again tomorrow. I've thought about using a grease gun and feel it would work IF I could figure out how to connect to one. So, Bluewool, it was your idea. How do you suggest I hook up the grease gun, without sacrificing a brake line and banjo?
              Thanks again,
              Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Compressed air should work. You may have to up the pressure. Keep a towel wrapped around it so it doesn't fly across your garage and punch a hole in your wall.

Comment

I put the grease nipple in where the brake line goes. Did it on the rear master for the 1150 and a couple of front calipers for rd350. Maybe I got lucky but the nipples were the same thread pitch as the brake line.

The pistons are available from HVCcycle

Here is a link to a RD400 parts list
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2012, 07:47 AM.

Comment

C Clamp

If your loose piston is still in place, (or put it back in), put a C-Clamp on the loose one, so it can't move anymore, put hydraulic pressure back in there, make the stuck one pop out.

Comment

Assuming it's a caliper that's in halves you bolt together (no idea about the RD, going on GS knowledge here), you disassemble the halves and then block the hole that feeds the other caliper half. I use a chunk of old inner tube and a c-clamp.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        Assuming it's a caliper that's in halves you bolt together (no idea about the RD, going on GS knowledge here), you disassemble the halves and then block the hole that feeds the other caliper half. I use a chunk of old inner tube and a c-clamp.
                        It is indeed the kind that bolts together. I was thinking of trying the very same idea. That oughta work.
                        Wizard's idea would work also, thanks if I want to wait until I replace the seals in the half that I was able to remove the piston from. Then I could reinstall that piston, limit its travel with a C-clamp, and drive it out using hydraulic pressure from the master cylinder. Either way, I think the C-clamp is the key to making it happen.
                        Thanks guys and happy new year.
                        Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

You don't even need the C clamp - just a couple of short bolts or similar that you put against the free piston on one side and against the body on the other.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by bluewool View Post
                            I put the grease nipple in where the brake line goes.
                            Or, Make a block off place for the side to side fluid transfer port, install a bolt into the brake line port to close it off, then loosen the brake bleeder and put the grease gun fitting over the open bleeder and pump away.

You can also block the transfer port off, pack the caliper with chassis grease and repeatedly screw a bolt into the brake line port - refilling with grease as necessary. It's a slow method but it works.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                              Or, Make a block off place for the side to side fluid transfer port, install a bolt into the brake line port to close it off, then loosen the brake bleeder and put the grease gun fitting over the open bleeder and pump away.
                              +1 That may actually have been what I did.. I know I had to install the nipple in the 1150 master. It's been 15 years since I did the rd callipers.

Comment

Working...
                              X