GSXR600K2 rear shock rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSXR600K2 rear shock rebuild

just got myself a GSXR600 rear shock to fit on my GS1000. it is off a very low mileage bike so it is tatty but in perfectly good working order.
    i want to strip it to clean it up properly and get the spring powder coated.
    has any one stripped one of these shocks before, and if so how do they come apart? i have spring compressors and i dont really want to pay a shop to do it for me if i can help it........

cheers
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Loosen the spring adjusting nut as far as it will go then compress the spring. If yours has got the plastic sleeve protector at the fork end pull it out of the way and you'll see the rubber bump stop attached to the lower seat. Give the seat a gentle (or maybe not so gentle) whack and you'll see the nut underneath.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
      Loosen the spring adjusting nut as far as it will go then compress the spring. If yours has got the plastic sleeve protector at the fork end pull it out of the way and you'll see the rubber bump stop attached to the lower seat. Give the seat a gentle (or maybe not so gentle) whack and you'll see the nut underneath.
      cheers Wally, i will have a go tomorrow.
      1978 GS1085.

Comment

there are 2 screws in the bottom fork on the shock, what are they for?
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

One of them should turn easily and is the rebound adjuster screw. The one on the other side is the body of the of the adjuster and doesn't move (easily).

This guy shows you how to rebuild them:

79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

excellent, thanks again Wally, i did flick through gixxer.com but i must have missed that thread. exactly what i was looking for
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

got it stripped today, came apart real easy. i didnt even need spring compressors.
              body all ready for cleaning and spraying and the spring has gone out for powder coating
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
              X