Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kawasaki Concours - thoughts on

Hi all,

I am thinking about looking at a 2005 Kawasaki Concours. My 1990 GSX1100F can be too much of problem child to commute on. The longer my work day is the more likely it is to give me trouble. I don't know why, but when it is dark and I am tired it just loves to act up. I am looking for sport/tourer that is newer and a little more tourer (more wind protection and storage).

Any thoughts on the Concours? Other sport/touring bikes I should consider?

Thanks.

I couldn't stand mine. Too top heavy, wrong posture, wrong engine. Fairing is so-so, Handling is poor for anything with sport in it's name. Gas mileage so so, Seat was terrible. Could not sell it fast enough. Others will disagree.

Ride one a while before you pull the trigger.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My dad had an '05 for a few months. He kinda liked it, but had a laundry list of complaints similar to Tom's.

I rode it a few times, if someone wanted to give me one, I suppose I'd take it. I wouldn't buy one myself, and there's a whole lot of sport-touring bikes I'd consider before the Connie.

I'm going to second Tom again, there are a metric ton of Connie enthusiasts out there...then again, lot of Harley riders too...

FWIW, he traded it towards a V-Strom with full kit and hasn't looked back or had a single complaint about the Strom...

At the risk of sounding like "that guy," I'd spend the time and money getting your 1100 sorted out.

Comment

I've never regretted buying my K1100RS...

What's wrong with the GSX1100F? Might be easier to just fix that...
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I have not ridden one, but have spoken with many who have. Their opinions are split. Some agree with Tom (tkent), others will almost violently disagree.

Virtually all will agree that it is top-heavy. Most wish it had a bit more power, but admit that more power would probably take away from its general civility and manners. Wind protection depended on the size of the rider trying to fit in the "bubble". Gas mileage depended on the amount of wrist-twisting, could vary from 35 to almost 50 mpg.

I would probably find it to be more like a toy than most of you. I am 6' 5" tall, so having a taller bike feels good. "Top-heavy" is a relative term. I'll bet it's nowhere near as bad as a fully-dressed KZ1300 or its successor, the ZN1300 Voyager. When I sold my Voyager and got my Wing, I thought the Wing felt like a toy because I sit several inches lower and the bike weighs about 100 pounds less.

Yep, ride one for at least a weekend, if you can, get a good feel for it to see if it fits you.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
            I've never regretted buying my K1100RS...

What's wrong with the GSX1100F? Might be easier to just fix that...
            R1100RS as well, one of very few I've kept for any length of time.

I'd say fix the one you have, owning two or more just means there's more work to fall behind on.

Comment

My brother used a ZG1000 as a daily rider (as in every day there was traction) while he lived in NC. With a Givi trunk, my brother also used it for grocery shopping until he got married. I've ridden it. It's sportier than any stock GS shafty. Plenty sporty for any time you find twisties. It was little tricky to balance in a parking lot, at first. Some of that came from not being accustomed to the frame mounted fairing. It has an enormous tank for touring. 12,000 mile service interval on the valves (I think) and shaft drive so you won't have to deal with it too often, other than putting gas in.

You either love it or hate it. You'll have to try one, as Steve said. I'm very tempted to replace my 1000G with one. It's the closest thing to what I want (Something like a 1000G that's only a few years old, 6-speed, 16 valve, long service interval shaftie on radial tires). Not sure I'd keep the fairing, but they look decent naked (once you move the overflow tank).
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Nardy loves his FJR....
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Last winter I rebuilt and restored a 1st Gen Connie . And from what I can tell all the ZG1000S are basically the same in ride.
                  I can tell you that I hated the thing. So damn top heavy especially if you filled the nearly 7 gallon fuel tank. For a liter mated with a 6 speed shaft drive I was not impressed with its ability or lack there of to perform. My GS750 (when it was a 750) would blow its doors off in the straights or twisties. Mileage was 40mpg if you tried for economy less if you liked to twist the throttle. For me I usually would see mid to low 30's. Top Speed was around 120mph wont go much faster with that huge fairing. I always would be ringing out the throttle to keep up with anyone else on a bike. I did fall my first time ever on a bike with the damn thing. Middle of congested traffic in Burlington VT someone cut me off I swerved to avoid the accident. Well the Connie decided it was too much to ask and she went over. After hitting the ground all I heard was the familiar squeak of air brakes from what sounded like inches from the rear of the bike. Sure enough getting up and looking behind I see the grill of a tangent dump truck... Yeah almost getting smoked by a construction vehicle for the loose.
                  So I sold it real damn quick after that incident.*
                  My recommendation is to stick with the GSX. I had my Bandit for awhile racked some serious miles and it never left me stranded. Strongly would not recommend a Concours.

...My 2 cents.
                  Last edited by Jedz123; 01-15-2013, 05:09 PM.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I used to own a 1987 model Concours. Basically they are all the same. I rode 2 Iron Butt rides with it, (SS1000 and BB1500), and had no problems at all. Oddly, what I did find with the bike is that it did everything well, either riding around town or heading across the Continent, it was a very capable bike. However it lacked 'soul' to me. I never was really excited about the bike and when I sold it I didn't even turn my head to see it go.

Now I own a 2011 Concours 1400, this is a whole different kettle of fish! Lots of power and good handling, I'm always eager to hop on it and go!
                    IBA# 12860
                    Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                    1984 KZ1100R
                    2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                    2011 Concours 1400

Comment

I'd agree that a V-Strom 650 would be a good alternate choice for trouble-free commuting.

They're cheap, very comfortable, agile in traffic, they get good mileage, and many have been nicely farkled with hard bags and such. Problems are rare, especially since they've all been owned by grown-ups. With a few more bucks and plenty of patience, you could even find one with ABS.

The V-Strom windshield sucks, but if you buy a used one this has probably already been addressed. Very few people leave the stock windshield in place -- it makes the bike virtually unrideable.

For any given bike, there are plenty of candy-asses out there that will tell you the stock seat is a torture device. Ignore them. Let your own butt decide.

Nothing wrong with the Connie, of course. If you're used to a GS/GSX shaftie, the Connie will not seem at all top-heavy or tall. Plus, it's shaft drive and benefits from an active aftermarket. Many used examples have been dropped, so make sure the repairs were done correctly.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Nothing wrong with the Connie, of course. If you're used to a GS/GSX shaftie, the Connie will not seem at all top-heavy or tall.
                        Going to disagree with you here. I ride all shapes and sizes of GSes, big and small, shaft and chain. None seem top heavy in the slightest. The Connie was a whole different animal. I almost dropped it just about every time I rode it. All my friends who rode it almost dropped it. Both experienced riders well over six feet tall, strong healthy men.

I couldn't even push it around the garage without taking a chance on dropping it. Step on a small tool or slip on some oil or something, over you go. WAY TOO TOP HEAVY!!!

Comment

I bought a 2005 Concours new. I hated it. No roll on power in top, whippy fork, bad seat, cheap cheesy fasteners in the fairing, top heavy, wide, remove the fairing lower for an oil change, noisy buffety windshield (way worse than a Windjammer to sit behind), bars way too far forward for me, and expensive to change. I didn't hate it right aaway. It took familiarity to get to dislike it. It had decent power, but not at 60 or 65 in top. It always took a downshift to go. the quality of the power wasn't right for me. If you toured on interstates instead of back roads, you might like it fine. There are lots of farckles and fixes, but they are expensive. My Rifle windshield cured the buffeting, but then in the rain, it collected water and continuously splashed my face, so an imperfect fix.

Get an FJ1300, or a Concours 14. I like riding my GS1000G way more than I liked riding my 2005 Concours. It was nice having brand new turn key riding, but that bike sucked. All it had was a low price.

It is far far more top heavy that any GS I have ever owned, including a 1000G with a Windjammer and full Samsonite.
                          Last edited by 850 Combat; 01-15-2013, 10:19 PM.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thanks for all the input - I enjoyed reading your comments. The polar love it/hate it definitely makes me want to sit on one.

The Katana has gotten a lot of love and $ from me. I do really like the bike and find it very comfortable and there is never a shortage of power. It needs new cogs, chain, shift forks (big job), and I think the rear suspension could stand a rebuild.

BMW ownership would terrify me. I would be concerned about being eaten alive by parts costs.

The V-Strom was the bike I was going to buy as my first bike before I got the GS850G. Any thoughts on the 650 vrs the 1000?

I will look into the FJR. They seems to have a higher resale value than the Concours. I think the low price (and colors) is drawing me to the Conours. Could be all the disappointed owners killing the resale value

The Concours 14 looks like a nice beast - variable valve timing, that is cool. Since this leads to newer motorcycles, what are some thoughts on traction control and ABS? I am hesitant to get into a motorcycle with too many electronic features, in fact I am hesitant to get buy a water cooled bike.

Comment

Originally posted by subforry View Post
                              BMW ownership would terrify me. I would be concerned about being eaten alive by parts costs.
                              Well it really isn't so bad. The key is they really don't break much, and don't need a lot of parts replaced....
                              Plus, plenty of great forums for help and alternative part sources to cut costs.

The K bikes are tough...not too hard to work on...and are really made for riding long distances...

Just my $0.02
                              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                              X