Help picking a dirt bike please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help picking a dirt bike please

Ok so looks like my 1150 is sold. Now I want to get a dirt bike...Any advice would be appreciated.
    What I'm looking for in a bike...the bike will be used for mostly trail riding and logging roads, with a lot of that time spent riding with my son on his crf 70

Size 250-500
    4 stroke
    headlight and tailight
    Would like to not spend more than $1500 but maybe more if it's well worth it.
    don't need to license it
    I am 5'9" 215lbs

Here are some that I have found so far that interest me, and yes you guys in the States bike cost more here

Thanks for your advice.
    No signature

For me it would be a toss up between the DR350, WR400, and the KDX200.
    Those seem about the best bikes for the dollar.
    I would lean towards the 2 stroke myself, I'm a big big fan.
    Simple, reliable, easy to work on, and there's nothing like that high revving engine to fling you through the woods.
    I dunno though you know, those other two are pretty good deals too.
    Surprised there's no Hondas in the list, they are usually pretty solid and tough bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
      For me it would be a toss up between the DR350, WR400, and the KDX200.
      Those seem about the best bikes for the dollar.
      I would lean towards the 2 stroke myself, I'm a big big fan.
      Simple, reliable, easy to work on, and there's nothing like that high revving engine to fling you through the woods.
      I dunno though you know, those other two are pretty good deals too.
      Surprised there's no Hondas in the list, they are usually pretty solid and tough bikes.
      Thanks Tank, yeah i really like the thought of that WR400. I like the Hondas too but can't find one in the price range, unless it 25 years old.
      No signature

Comment

You cannot go wrong with a DR 350. I ride mine all over the rockies, it goes everywhere the KTM guys go, just a little bit slower. Reliable as a rock. No coolant leaks.

The dirt only models are cheaper and have better suspension.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Aahhh my mistake, I meant the 2002 DR-Z400, It's a little more in price but it's newer and looks like it wasn't beat on too much.

Comment

Not as good as a DR 350 in the rough stuff, heavier, slower, only a five speed and the water cooling thing is a bad idea when you can get a puncture a long walk away from anything. I have helped several KTM buddies get their bikes home with no cooling system.

Comment

Hey guys, really appreciating the advice and the good and bad points. It's been sooo long since I owned a dirtbike. The last one was in 1982..a 79 or 80 RM400. I was 135lbs soaking wet. Boy was that a hard one for me to hold on too!
              No signature

Comment

Out of your selections the WR400 looks to be the best deal.
                I wonder why the hefty price on the DR350.
                Like tkent02, I have one and it has been bulletproof.

Although I do like the looks of this new offering.

Comment

Originally posted by Notz View Post

Although I do like the looks of this new offering.

http://www.ktm.com/freeride/freeride...ighlights.html
                  Very nice bike, maybe a bit out of the PO's price point? I am actually thinking it would be great when I'm too old and feeble to horse the DR 350 around.

Comment

Ok I have narrowed it down to 4 bikes. The DR350s are out of my price range but I emailed them asking to give me their best price. So we will see.
                    The DR400 looks to be taken care of and pretty close to my price range (and the one I'm leaning towards the most, newer and closer to price)

The WR400 is a good price (in my range) but wonder if it has been a little beat on.
                    Thoughts?
                    Thanks again

No signature

Comment

Those Drs are high, the Wr400 would be the best.

I rode a WR250, very impressive but a very tall bike. Haven't tried the 400.

Comment

I didn't know the DRZ400 was water cooled.
                        Something I wouldn't want to crash in the bushes far from home.

My vote would be the WR400.
                        My 30+ year old yammi three wheelers are tough as hell and been beat on for decades, and still run strong.

Comment

The DR400 dual sport has always been #1 on my list of enduros. Seems like the best value. Agree the DR350 are high in comparison and are likley to have a bit less HP/ weight. Know nothing about the WR.

cg
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g
                          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                            Agree the DR350 are high in comparison and are likley to have a bit less HP/ weight.
                            Not if your DR 350 is secretly a 441. It is lighter than a DRZ 400, mine is more powerful too.
                            I have ridden them both, much prefer the 350 for back country stuff, and with the six speed it's better on roads too.

Comment

Seems to be a real toss up between the DR400 in Abbotsford or the DR350 in Comox. The Comox one is street ready but has twice the miles and more in price. You probably won't go wrong with either one if they are running well and the rims are in good shape. Can't be too much money or brain cells between the two of us to put some blinkers on the 400 if you wanted/needed to either. I sure like you style though Trevor, one out one in..virturally the same day.....nicccccceeeeeeeee.
                              Rob
                              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                              X