1974 cb450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1974 cb450

Alright, I took it for a spin today to get a little motivation to get back to work on it.

I picked it up over the summer from owner number two, who purchased it in 1975. The bike had not been started in many years.

When Steve was over this summer we did a little carb cleaning, valve adjusting etc. It runs well enough to run it up the driveway. Sounds smooth.

The points spark looks very sporadic, so I thinking after 39 years and 9,000 miles, it deserves a new set of points!

The bike is all original, including the tires.

Anyway, heres a couple pics as I picked it up and then one after a wash.

More pictures

Comment

Few more

Comment

And more

Comment

Original paint??
          '80 GS1000ST
          '92 ZX-11
          Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

So my plans are all the typical stuff and a good cleaning!

Comment

I had a '72 CB450. It was a great little bike. It was reliable and bulletproof. I did get a little wear in the swingarm bearings. I put 24K on it
              and I think the only things I replaced were tubes, tires, and spark plugs.
              I sold it when I got orders overseas.

sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

The tank cleaned up nicely.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
                  Original paint??
                  Yes, it was always garaged. Previous owner used to ride it from his Brockton, MA garage to his Cape Cod garage, until his wife told him he was too old for that!

The orange on the gauges looks like the day it rolled of the assembly line.

Biggest issue is the surface rust, many hours will be needed to get that under control.

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                    I had a '72 CB450. It was a great little bike. It was reliable and bulletproof. I did get a little wear in the swingarm bearings. I put 24K on it
                    and I think the only things I replaced were tubes, tires, and spark plugs.
                    I sold it when I got orders overseas.

Sweet!! I can get nother 15k miles out of these original tires.

Comment

Wow. Awesome pic. Steve for president!
                      '80 GS1000ST
                      '92 ZX-11
                      Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

I found this site when I was looking for help with my CL350. From the looks of this bike, I'd say he does good work.

Comment

Originally posted by subid View Post
                          I found this site when I was looking for help with my CL350. From the looks of this bike, I'd say he does good work.

Nice looking bike, I am just going to keep mine original.

Or, should I get out the sawzall with a demo blade, place it just behind the seat strap and push down until I hit the tire?

Comment

if that backrest would fit the wifes 400F and you are interested in selling i would be interested

Comment

Originally posted by subid View Post

One thing I didn't like about Honda's, and that's when they came out with those ComStar wheels. I think it detracts from the otherwise great looking machine, i.e. The CBX. It had to affect their sales negatively.
                              I can see after reading this article on the "Cheesy ComStars" I'm not alone in my opinion.
                              sigpic
                              Steve
                              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
                              X