1985 Yamaha FZ750 - rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 Yamaha FZ750 - rebuild

Posted a few days ago about these bikes, and I actually pulled the trigger and decided to get them and have a go at a rebuild. I need to do something over the winter and what better thing to do than rebuild a bike. Well if you ask my wife she has other ideas, paint the house, hardwood floors, tile, backsplash, ohhh and so many other things, but lucky me, I was able to get these items done and she is happy, now I can go to the man cave and enjoy the rest of the winter.

Yes I am supposed to do a Harley, and I will and actually I have too I promised the lady I would.

There are actually 2 bikes in this build, however one I will work on and get going and make it all nice and new like, the other our GS member here Spyug will tackle the Blue bike, somehow he wants a project and a new ride for the upcoming season. His rebuild will probably not be to the level I am thinking of taking mine, he just wants something bigger than his current 550, so his plan is to just get it mechanically safe and sound, operational and on the road, where I am going to go and follow my other rebuild, you know the GS750E and probably match that.

Well here are a few pics of what we are starting with, and I will take photos as I go along, so if your interested, subscribe and enjoy the ride...

just be fore-warned this build will not be right away, it will be a few weeks off before I start, I still have a few small items to do in the house before I am actually free and clear....

so here we go...

Hey if anyone has parts, they would like to donate or sell for a small price do let me know what you have, I just might need it, let me and or Spyug know....

I am sure he will start up a thread of his own, or what might be cool is to have him post in this one, and we can have a double build off.....

Great score! You know all the late model mid 90's FZR stuff bolts right up to these things... conversion?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
      Great score! You know all the late model mid 90's FZR stuff bolts right up to these things... conversion?
      Honestly I know nothing about these bikes, what I can or cannot do, what works and what does not...

If you have any advise or specifics that you can share I will be more than gratefull to listen and look for.

I was thinking of back to stock on the red/white, and maybe the blue one Spyug can do a conversion or upgrade if he wishes.

I am going to first start by stripping the red/white down and then go to town.....

Actually the first thing is to get her to run, she does turn over, this we have already determined, so need to hook up some gas, a power source, and see if she will run, run in any kind of way will be a good thing, at least then I know I have something to move forward with.

The blue bike will require the same, this one we have not had a chance to turn over as of yet, so we really don't know what we are up against, we do know there might be a problem with 2nd gear ? but have not confirmed anything as of yet.

Right now both are freezing thier nuts and bolts off in the great Canadian winter, but will be in the garage as soon as I can, or at a minimum they will get tarped until I/we can get to them....

Comment

Wow, already diving in again huh GK? Fantastic. Will give me something to follow this winter as I am still looking. Actually, I have found a few myself but have been to dang lazy to get off my duff and go look at them ha ha. Yammay's are great bikes. I have had many and never had much trouble. Unfortunately, the 5 valve heads will cost you if you have to do any valve work. She should run like heck though once you have her fixed up. Very quick bike.
        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Hey Sci85...

Ya had to get into something, before I got myself into some sort of trouble...

Lets hope for no head issues, actually no issues at all, hopefully it will go as smooth as the GS, I will be in heaven.

and hopefully she just runs....she turns over but that is as far as I got her going for now...

Comment

If you guys need use of an ultrasonic cleaner let me know. My tank will hold maybe two racks of carbs. Case o beer and your on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by amxsteve View Post
              If you guys need use of an ultrasonic cleaner let me know. My tank will hold maybe two racks of carbs. Case o beer and your on your way.
              Awesome offer, Thanks....

Will keep this in mind once we/I get to that point

Maybe a cuban cigar, and we can smoke and drink as the carbs take a sonic bath....LOL

Comment

Great lookin' bike...I see a beautiful rebuild in your future. And I'm also diggin' your 83/750 as well.
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Well you can bet Mr. G.s bike will come out looking factory fresh but there's big doubts about anything I touch. I'm more the tidy it up and make it safe kind of guy. With the blue one, as G says we don't know if it will turn over and the PO voiced some reservations about the clutch/tranny. Its missing a key so we can't even get the seat off or look in the tank. The first priority will be getting a key sorted.

Since I would like to get this bike on the road to be able to ride it this season I checked with my insurer this morning and I ran myself into a problem by being honest. Apparently, you can't say the bike is going to be refurbished as they won't touch it with a barge pole. I tried to explain the process and even offered to get the bike appraised prior to getting coverage but no, " we don't offer coverage for refurbished bikes you need to go elsewhere" You bet your ass I will smug prick!

Well never let it be said I'm not up for a challenge but sometimes I wonder if its all worth it

Enjoy the ride friends.
                  Spy

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                    Well you can bet Mr. G.s bike will come out looking factory fresh but there's big doubts about anything I touch. I'm more the tidy it up and make it safe kind of guy. With the blue one, as G says we don't know if it will turn over and the PO voiced some reservations about the clutch/tranny. Its missing a key so we can't even get the seat off or look in the tank. The first priority will be getting a key sorted.

Since I would like to get this bike on the road to be able to ride it this season I checked with my insurer this morning and I ran myself into a problem by being honest. Apparently, you can't say the bike is going to be refurbished as they won't touch it with a barge pole. I tried to explain the process and even offered to get the bike appraised prior to getting coverage but no, " we don't offer coverage for refurbished bikes you need to go elsewhere" You bet your ass I will smug prick!

Well never let it be said I'm not up for a challenge but sometimes I wonder if its all worth it

Enjoy the ride friends.
                    Spy
                    Never offer anything they don't ask for. Lesson learned

Comment

I don't get why they should care if you are rebuilding it or not. But then again, with all the readings I've done on here about your insurance system I'd be scared to register a completely stock vehicle
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

As the saying goes,"this ain't my first rodeo" and I didn't offer up the information, they question in such away as it comes out no matter what you say. Trust me, it was like the Spanish inquisition and it only takes one slip and they start digging. I have never experienced anything like that before. I have never had an issue with them or ever made a claim but it was like there was a big flag on my account. With this insurer (TD-Primmum) you are dealing directly with the insurance company not an agent. I've been with them about 9 years and for the primary reason that they offer a monthly payment plan and the rates are quite good.

Unfortunately for me, I was brought up to believe honesty is the best policy and it is but possibly not when dealing with motorcycle insurers who really don't want to be in that business. Calls to others this morning aren't providing much luck either as there are few that will cover any bike older than 20 years and the one that does has not as yet gotten back to me.

I'll let you know how this turns out.

S.

Comment

Lessons Learned

Originally posted by spyug View Post

Enjoy the ride friends.
                          Spy
                          Sometimes, honesty is not the best policy. I find that in life as well as negotiating with Insurance Agencies.

It's worth it because you wouldn't have started it, if you didn't want to make it succeed.

Originally posted by amxsteve View Post
                          I agree 100%. I try not to give up too much information...but sometimes I can't help myself.

Ed
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Look at it this way: if you did have to make a claim and they found out that you "refurbished" the bike, then they would have grounds to dismiss the claim, potentially leaving you on the hook for all kinds of stuff. It's possible that being honest will have saved your butt in the future.

Although just for fun, I would have stayed on the line and demanded to hear their definition of refurbished exactly as printed in the contract.
                            Charles
                            --
                            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                              Look at it this way: if you did have to make a claim and they found out that you "refurbished" the bike, then they would have grounds to dismiss the claim, potentially leaving you on the hook for all kinds of stuff. It's possible that being honest will have saved your butt in the future.

Although just for fun, I would have stayed on the line and demanded to hear their definition of refurbished exactly as printed in the contract.
                              Refurbished? What next I put on my own brake pads so insurance declined. And that new paint job ya that's a nono.
                              Sounds to me like you want it as safe as possible and your being penalized for it

Comment

Working...
                              X