1971 Yamaha XS1B (XS650)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1971 Yamaha XS1B (XS650)

So a client of mine told me her sister-in-law had an old Yamaha that belonged to her deceased husband and did I want to take a look at it. Went over and found this sitting in corner of garage. Sweet!

No title, will need battery, carb clean, chioke cable and tank cleaned . All original though. just under 30,000 miles. Check out the oil cooler that looks like it came out of a refrigerator.

Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2013, 10:09 PM.

Will start on the clean up this weekend.

Comment

Great project, I see a cafe/fighter/tracker in there somewhere.. Isn't that what they call them now?

Comment

Man wouldn't it be a shame if someone did that to that bike Joe? Not that I have a problem with modifications (obviously), but don't do it to an example like that. One's that are that clean and original should stay that way. I wouldn't even restore it; I love the patina on this thing. REALLY like the color.

Comment

Very nice!
          Kick start if i remember right?
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
            Very nice!
            Kick start if i remember right?
            Yep kick start only. Electronic start didn't begin until '72 I believe. That's the one bad spot for me. My only other XS650 left me writhing in pain on my garage floor twice. Once from a kick back but by far the worst on a free kick. I thought I had tore my damn ACL on that one.

Comment

My first street bike was a 70
              Thanks for the memories!
              Mine was burgandy red. Awesome bike!!
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The Triumph Triumph SHOULD have built.

Another local guy Steve and I see from time to time has one of those...not sure of the year but it was before the "XS" designation. Got some aftermarket pipes on it lil more open, and he's "slimmed" it down a little bit. Not quite original but not quite cafe racer. Sounds fantastic! Love the sound of a Ptwin. Lil too small for me or I'd have considered buying it as he was asking around $1500 for it.

Comment

Awesome find! If that were mine I'd get it running good, dust it off, maybe a little polish and ride it just like that.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    The Triumph Triumph SHOULD have built.

Another local guy Steve and I see from time to time has one of those...not sure of the year but it was before the "XS" designation. Got some aftermarket pipes on it lil more open, and he's "slimmed" it down a little bit. Not quite original but not quite cafe racer. Sounds fantastic! Love the sound of a Ptwin. Lil too small for me or I'd have considered buying it as he was asking around $1500 for it.
                    I had a 77 and people always asked me if it was a Triumph. I told them it was a BSA.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I had a '76 XS650 I picked up while stationed in Alaska, it had about 1,000 miles on it and I believed I paid $900 for it, or vice versa, can't recall exactly. Lots of low end torque, but boy did it vibrate! A real challenge to red-line it and keep your hands on the grips. Didn't get to put many miles on it, started snowing soon after I got it and spend most of the time under a tarp until spring when I sold it as I had just bought a '78 GS1000E.

I really liked the styling of the bike which I referred to as a Japanese Bonneville.

sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

My brother was into these for along time, and as I recall the real early ones had some handling issues with frame flex in the neck area. As I recall if you look at the newer ones Yamaha did some bracing in that area.I believe if I remember correctly 72 is the first year electric start and disc front brake. Check out Mikes XS all these things can be answered there.
                        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
                          Man wouldn't it be a shame if someone did that to that bike Joe? Not that I have a problem with modifications (obviously), but don't do it to an example like that. One's that are that clean and original should stay that way. I wouldn't even restore it; I love the patina on this thing. REALLY like the color.

Agreed it so cool like it is

Comment

So nice to see a survivor that hasn't been tossed down the road a couple of times. Such groovy paint, too.

Looks like it will be a worthwhile and rewarding project. I am also in the "keep it as original as possible" camp. Far too many of these bikes have been cut up already.

Hope the lack of a title doesn't pose a big problem -- here in Indiana, it's pretty much a show-stopper. I seem to recall Texas has more enlightened laws.

Post lots of pics!
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

X1's are rare enough that they should be saved rather than cut up. My best friend had one in the 70's. It was super reliable, but anything but fast. He was very angry that my Atlas was quite a bit faster. Wonky handling, too.

Still, they are very pretty. The electric start XS650's are a dime a dozen, especially Specials,but those X1's were two years only I think, and there just aren't many around.

Nice find.
                              Last edited by 850 Combat; 01-24-2013, 12:29 PM.
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                              X