new qualifying program for moto GP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new qualifying program for moto GP

the big boys are changing to an F1 style knockout qualifying program for 2013.
    3 free practice sessions sort out the top 10 riders. the rest take part in qualy 1 sorting out grid positions 13 upwards, with the top 2 riders joining the rest in qualy 2 for the final top 12 grid positions.
    the 2 other classes remain with the same qualifying program as in previous years.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
    the big boys are changing to an F1 style knockout qualifying program for 2013.
    3 free practice sessions sort out the top 10 riders. the rest take part in qualy 1 sorting out grid positions 13 upwards, with the top 2 riders joining the rest in qualy 2 for the final top 12 grid positions.
    the 2 other classes remain with the same qualifying program as in previous years.
    I'm betting this change was made to appease the top riders who frequently complain about slower riders ruining their qualifying laps. This has been a problem for some time as riders slow down dramatically on the track to wait for a faster rider to come by and give them a tow to improve their lap times. It got much worse with the addition of the CRT bikes which are often several seconds per lap slower than the prototype bikes. This change will pretty much split the qualifying sessions into CRT bikes and prototypes. I don't see it making much difference. The top factory bikes will still be the fastest qualifiers and the CRT bikes will still be the slowest.
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
      I'm betting this change was made to appease the top riders who frequently complain about slower riders ruining their qualifying laps. This has been a problem for some time as riders slow down dramatically on the track to wait for a faster rider to come by and give them a tow to improve their lap times. It got much worse with the addition of the CRT bikes which are often several seconds per lap slower than the prototype bikes. This change will pretty much split the qualifying sessions into CRT bikes and prototypes. I don't see it making much difference. The top factory bikes will still be the fastest qualifiers and the CRT bikes will still be the slowest.
      True. If you've ever watched F1 at all, it's pretty much the deal there too. The top tier guys finish generally in the top ten (although there are times when they've failed to make Q3 or even on occasion Q2) and the second and third tier guys fall in behind.

But, if they've set it up like F1, once you hit the track for your qualifying laps you can't touch the bike in the pits anymore. So if you've set the bike up for a cool day with a cool track on qualifying, and race day is stupid hot, you're SOL.
      And I wonder if they'll do anything to the tire rules and such.

I gotta say, as a fan of both sports, I had been hoping for this type of thing since they implemented in F1. It's added a bit of suspense to qualifying, and even more strategy.

Comment

here is a linky to the full set of new regulations...........

Apart from rider switches, new faces and bike upgrades, the 2013 MotoGP™ season will receive yet another new excitement factor – a new Qualifying format! motogp.com explains how the system will work.
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

To my mind the single biggest problem with Moto GP at present is the lack of numbers on the grid, Lets just hope its a competitive season . Really need some new blood at the front

Comment

Leave it as it is .
            The best "racing" happens when a couple of the "guns" blow qualifying and start down the back .
            Watching them come through the pack can be awesome .
            Marq Marques last year was spectacular .
            Last to first . A bit of muscle , a lot of ball$ and a $hitload of skill .
            Brilliant .
            Glad I'm not racing him this year (or next) .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
              Leave it as it is .
              The best "racing" happens when a couple of the "guns" blow qualifying and start down the back .
              Watching them come through the pack can be awesome .
              Marq Marques last year was spectacular .
              Last to first . A bit of muscle , a lot of ball$ and a $hitload of skill .
              Brilliant .
              Glad I'm not racing him this year (or next) .

Cheers , Simon .
              I like Marquez' brashness but if Ducati can sort their bloody bike out, I'm excited to see Andrea Ianonne and his win it or bin it attitude push his way up in there.

Comment

Originally posted by fast pom View Post
                To my mind the single biggest problem with Moto GP at present is the lack of numbers on the grid, Lets just hope its a competitive season . Really need some new blood at the front
                there are more teams entering this year.
                a few new names up to the big class,ok CRT included but the biggest change will be a certain Mr Rossi back on a Yamaha
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

The rule changes have slowed the flow of big money domination, but has also made it NASCAR like racing. IMO boring. it stifles experimentation, and riders relying on electronics instead of rider skills. I am not saying the riders have no skills, on the contrary, I would rather see great, on the edge racing that these great riders are capable of than regulated made for profit/tv racing.
                  Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                  Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                  Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
                  X