A Kiwi Genius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Kiwi Genius

A three part documentary on John Britten.

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

I just watched all 3 parts. Glad you posted it up for us.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I couldn't help myself, I just watched all three videos too.

John was definitely ahead of the times.

Comment

Would have been interesting to see what he would have accomplished with a longer lifespan.

Comment

Originally posted by still_bluenoser View Post
          Would have been interesting to see what he would have accomplished with a longer lifespan.
          In bikes, not a lot more. He'd accomplished what he set out to do and was getting a lot of flak from the family and the family business managers.

He was trying to keep the design and development team together but his focus was being pulled away from bikes. He had some very good guys there but wouldn't/couldn't let go of the reins. A lot of wasted time and effort towards the end on outside projects which didn't come through.

Post his death, once existing orders had been filled, Kirsty and the accountant from hell shut the place down.

If anyone does a film about him - like Burt Munro - myself and most of the staff still in Christchurch have agreed to picket the premiere in protest.
          A film would involve Kirsty's permission and cooperation - and she was the main force trying to get him away from bikes.....It would be a tad hypocritical on her part. We'll see.

Comment

Funny I just met the guy who cut all the gears on the britten bikes day before yesterday.. Seriously clever blokes.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
              In bikes, not a lot more. He'd accomplished what he set out to do and was getting a lot of flak from the family and the family business managers.

He was trying to keep the design and development team together but his focus was being pulled away from bikes. He had some very good guys there but wouldn't/couldn't let go of the reins. A lot of wasted time and effort towards the end on outside projects which didn't come through.

Post his death, once existing orders had been filled, Kirsty and the accountant from hell shut the place down.

If anyone does a film about him - like Burt Munro - myself and most of the staff still in Christchurch have agreed to picket the premiere in protest.
              A film would involve Kirsty's permission and cooperation - and she was the main force trying to get him away from bikes.....It would be a tad hypocritical on her part. We'll see.
              Nice to hear you point of view. Remarkable story.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Charlie did you ever get the link I sent regarding the "One man's dream" documentary on John Britten?

They're both a bit jingoistic but smaller countries(such as Canada) tend to do that. Its like a nationalistic little man complex.
                Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2013, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bluewool View Post
                  Charlie did you ever get the link I sent regarding the "One man's dream" documentary on John Britten?

They're both a bit jingoistic but smaller countries(such as Canada) tend to do that. Its like a nationalistic little man complex.
                  No I haven't yet. Meant to thank you. I still have the link, just sort of got set aside with the minuta of life.

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g

Comment

Incredible talent that we lost way too early. Thanks for posting!
                    '80 GS1000ST
                    '92 ZX-11
                    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

watched them all also. So sad that a regulator swamped the dream win.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                      X