1992 GSX1100G clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1992 GSX1100G clutch

My project bike went about 50 miles and the clutch started slipping on the ride home from church today. It got progressively worse, but I made it albeit at a lower speed.

I looked at the parts diagram for this bike, and apparently the clutch setup is different than the same year GSX1100F, which uses 4 conventional coil springs. I see the G uses two conical springs. Fortunately they are inexpensive, but I thought I'd pick the collective brains here to see if there is any insight to this job. I was able to fix my red GS1000G thanks to the 50/50 clutch spring trick that I found here.

EDIT
    Short-attention span probable solution for those that may have the same problem and later read this thread. Trying to find GSX1100G clutch springs is hard. Trying to find the same springs for a 1989-98 GSXR1100 or 2001-05 GSF1200 is easy.

EBC sells HD springs as part #CSK902. They are about $27 on eBay. I plan on using one new OEM spring and one EBC spring like I did on the GS.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2013, 05:00 PM.

When I had my 91 the PO had installed a HD clutch due to slipping. Even with the hydraulic clutch it gave my left arm a workout. In city riding it was miserable. I would try new OE parts if it were me.

Comment

Check the slave cylinder before replacing any internal parts.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Slave cylinder was rebuilt with OEM parts and a new stainless steel 6mm push rod made & installed along with new push rod seals.

Thanks for the tip dr. The GS1000 has 3 new aftermarket clutch springs and 3 old ones and it was a night & day difference. The GSX-G uses 2 diaphragm washers, so it is a completely different setup. The good news is they are under $5 each. I looked at the shop manual and it looks like the bearing in there should also be replaced. It is about the same price, so at least this will not be an expensive repair.

I have not seen any aftermarket (HD) springs for this bike. I'm sure due to limited sales they are few & far between. I saw a set of EBC plates for $77 shipped on eBay, seemed like a decent price.

EDIT
        I checked the part # for the spring and it is used on a number of bikes, which greatly expands the search function. I found a Barnett diaphragm spring that would work for $27, but will likely do some more research. Seems like since there are 2 springs, I could use one HD spring with a stock one like I did with the GS1000G. The EBC # is CSK902 and they claim 15% more power than stock. I see this part# on eBay for around $27 also.

This Suzuki 09164-47001 WASHER is also used on these models and components:
        1989 GSX-R1100 CLUTCH

1990 GSX-R1100 CLUTCH

1991 GSX-R1100N CLUTCH

1991 GSX1100GP CLUTCH

1992 GSX-R1100N CLUTCH

1992 GSX1100GP CLUTCH

1993 GSX-R1100W CLUTCH (MODEL P-R)

1993 GSX-R1100W CLUTCH (MODEL S-T-V-W)

1993 GSX1100G CLUTCH

1993 GSX1100GP CLUTCH

1994 GSX-R1100W CLUTCH (MODEL P-R)

1994 GSX-R1100W CLUTCH (MODEL S-T-V-W)

1994 RF900RV CLUTCH (MODEL R)

1995 GSX-R1100W CLUTCH (MODEL P-R)

1995 GSX-R1100W CLUTCH (MODEL S-T-V-W)

1995 RF900RV CLUTCH (MODEL R)

1996 GSX-R1100W CLUTCH (MODEL P-R)

1996 GSX-R1100W CLUTCH (MODEL S-T-V-W)

1996 RF900RV CLUTCH (MODEL R)

1997 GSX-R1100W CLUTCH (MODEL P-R)

1997 GSX-R1100W CLUTCH (MODEL S-T-V-W)

1997 RF900RV CLUTCH (MODEL R)

1998 GSX-R1100W CLUTCH (MODEL P-R)

1998 GSX-R1100W CLUTCH (MODEL S-T-V-W)

2001 GSF1200 CLUTCH

2001 GSF1200S CLUTCH

2002 GSF1200 CLUTCH

2002 GSF1200S CLUTCH

2003 GSF1200 CLUTCH

2003 GSF1200S CLUTCH

2004 GSF1200 CLUTCH

2004 GSF1200S CLUTCH

2005 GSF1200 CLUTCH

2005 GSF1200S CLUTCH
        Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2013, 04:42 PM.

Comment

In hindsight, the engine is no longer smoking, so I guess it became fully broken in today, so the clutch can no longer handle the now massive power output. It didn't slip until my favorite S-curve on the ride home.

Based on the above, I think I will try one EBC HD spring and one new OEM spring.

Looks like I'll have to buy another GSX-G to use the other spring, since they are sold in pairs. Since they were sold as a set of 6, I'm planning to use the remaining 3 aftermarket springs on the blue GS1000 when it is time.

Comment

Are you sure it's a clutch spring problem? What I've seen from weak clutch springs, they first start slipping under extreme pressure & don't get worse within a ride home. Under normal riding, they should remain the same till you slip the clutch enough to ware the plates excessively. Not sure about the hydrolic clutch, but if it were cable operated, the cause would be the clutch cable frayed & started binding on the cable housing, not letting the clutch completely enguage, fraying & binding getting worse each time it is operated, it may rapidly get worse. Seems very strange the springs had plenty of tension for the first 50 mi., then lost enough tension in the next few mi. you had to just ease it home. Just sayin
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I was kind of joking but it could be engine output played a role. This bike sat from around 1998-2012 (it was last registered in 1998 and I bought it last year with 7700 miles on it). I changed the oil & filter after putting 13 miles on it, and am running regular 10w40 oil. It smoked for a few miles before I changed the oil but I attributed this to the Marvel oil I put in the cylinders and regular oil burning off- my V65 did the same thing, and it had only sat a couple of years when I bought it. I had read elsewhere that some oils are not good with wet clutches, but I run the same oil in my GS and V65 bikes with no problem.

I'm going to pull the clutch cover tomorrow and measure the plates and springs, the manual has specs for both.

Comment

Originally posted by Mythbusters
                Well there's your problem
                I took the clutch apart today and while it passed the overall measurement tests for the plates and springs, several of the friction tabs had delaminated and fallen off. Time for some new plates:

Comment

Any thoughts on EBC plates? I'm as usual reading mixed reviews. Any other brands vs stock, which are about $140?

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post

Hmmm... yeah, that's somewhat suboptimal.

I've used EBC clutch plates in a couple of bikes with no troubles whatsoever.

EBC makes very high quality goods. I'll also note that an awful lot of people just slap in new clutch plates without understanding or fixing the actual clutch problem. These people then usually blame the new clutch plates for their continued problems. I wouldn't worry too much about negative reviews unless there's a strong pattern of problems on the GSX1100 chain and shaftie sites.

In a GS, Barnett "extra plate" clutch kits create all kinds of problems, but EBC's stock replacement parts have always worked very well for me.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Good, thanks for the info. A lot of the reviews look to be for other models. I did find individual plates (10 needed) at a site called Parts N More for $5 each. No idea what brand they are, but shipping is only $9. The EBC plates are $77 shipped on eBay.

Comment

I found the EBC kit and springs at Partzilla.com for a good price, so I went ahead and ordered there.

Comment

This job is still on parts hold.

I guess EBC quit making the clutch springs, so I will try to find a set from Barnett.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
                            This job is still on parts hold.

I guess EBC quit making the clutch springs, so I will try to find a set from Barnett.

Why not OEM springs?

Since you found the actual cause of the slipping, I wonder if there's really a need for stronger than OEM springs.

Have you found any wisdom out there from other GSX1100G owners?
                            Last edited by bwringer; 02-21-2013, 10:18 AM.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              Why not OEM springs?

Since you found the actual cause of the slipping, I wonder if there's really a need for stronger than OEM springs.

Have you found any wisdom out there from other GSX1100G owners?
                              Ditto that bwringer, also from the photo it appears that the damaged friction plate was welded at one time to the adjacent steel plate and is from a different manufacture. At that kind of mileage the springs should be good to go as is.

Comment

Working...
                              X