Rare BSA for sale on E Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare BSA for sale on E Bay

1972 Rocket 3 I think that 450 of these were made. I owned a 1973 Triumph Hurricane, which used the same motor and frame. That bike made me want one of these, because the Hurricane dragged its pipes in right turns.

They used to be cheap, but not so much any more
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Wow that Rocket 3 is in good shape, I wonder if it came with K81s new. Too bright for my taste but I would consider a 1975 T 150 Trident
    1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

"sez original matching numbers and 5 speed. That bothers me a bit, because there were only three 5 speed Rocket 3's produced in 1972 according to Triumph factory records. Usually what happens is a Triumph gearcluster is fitted to get a 5 speed.

Comment

Beautiful.. always liked the Hurricane.

Unfortunately, way too expensive to pull the trigger on one:

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
          Wow that Rocket 3 is in good shape, I wonder if it came with K81s new. Too bright for my taste but I would consider a 1975 T 150 Trident
          The 1975 Trident is a T-160. I owned a T-160. I did not like it anywhere neas as much. It was heavier, and had no ground clearance. Mine had a Big D 850 kit and Dunstalls, and the motor was reasonably stout. I rode it coast to and sold it soon after. It was great looking, but nowhere near as nice to ride.

There is my T-160

The BSA frame in this Triumph X-75 Hurricane worked way better. This bike was very nice to ride. It was the only Brit bike I ever had that never leaked a drop of oil. I rode the heck out of it.

Comment

Are those side panels original on the Rocket III (US spec I guess) in the ad? I've never seen that pattern before - looks a bit OTT gaudy to me. If they are I think it's a shame because, to my eyes, the round tank Rocket III is one of the prettiest bikes ever made.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Somebody chromed the side covers and painted them, aparently. Funny, because I always thought they were fiberglass. The extra chrome could probably be painted over. Those bikes don't come up for sale that often. Its got some cheapo looking so called Dunstall Replica pipes on it, too, and some other stuff that is a bit cheesy. Those aluminum boxes under the tank hiding the electrical stuff are ugly too. I want it, but I'm not buying it.

Honestly, the over the top extra chrome on this example has grown on me.
              Last edited by 850 Combat; 02-16-2013, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Cast aluminum sidecovers

Comment

We're all showing our age. Wish I looked this good. Alittle goudy would be ok.

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                    We're all showing our age. Wish I looked this good. Alittle goudy would be ok.cg
                    Well, we could chrome you and those age lines wouldn't be so noticable
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                    X