Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've finally Acquired a new(er) "Super" Standard liter bike!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've finally Acquired a new(er) "Super" Standard liter bike!!!!

So I've been shopping around, asking around and researching for a new bike that would be an adequate replacement for my old 98 Bandit 1200.

Well I found it and dropped my down payment on this:

2002 Yamaha FZ1 with 25,000 miles. I couldn't pick up today but the guy is holding it for me until I can get out next weekend to pick it up. Paid 1/2 now half at pick up, Bill of sales are signed and once I get adequate transport or a clear day to ride it, I'll be back out to pick it up. $2500 was the final price we negotiated to,. Comes with a set of brand new tires and the stock exhaust. Tires will need to be installed, tires that are on it now are ok... Front is starting to cup but the back is solid and still round, both have good tread depth, Manufacturer stamp says February of 2011, so the tires are good enough to ride it home if need be. I'll be swapping the front for sure ASAP and burn the rear off in few thousand miles aka a month of ridding.. Fresh oil, filters and coolant change. Fresh rebuild on the carburetors with recent receipts of work and parts. Brakes, chain and sprockets have adequate life left. Super clean bike and it really needs nothing.
    Bike does have a little bit of road rash on the right side but the rest of the machine is in great shape. Wasn't 100% sold until I rode it WOW! 85mph in first gear necessary!?!?! -1 tooth on the front with a speeod healer is in the cards right off the bat! The thing runs so well though. Started right up with little choke and held idle without choke just seconds after the start. Yoshimura stainless exhaust, sounds awesome... I was sold when I got on it and twisted the throttle. Freaking awesome!!! Rides very similar to my buddies FZ6's however more power, more weight and seams to be better built for long rides out of the box. Bike other then the exhaust is all stock.

Not perfect but hey it's a beauty of a bike for the asking price. Had to strike when the iron was hot. And now I finally got my hands on a sport tourer that's is equal to or more then capable of my old B-12!!!!

!!!CANT GET THE SMILE OFF THIS GUY'S FACE!!!
    Last edited by Jedz123; 02-17-2013, 10:25 PM.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Congrats, that's awesome. Looks like a very fun bike. Hopefully I'll get to see what it can do in person sometime soon.

Comment

Thanks Evan! I'm holding it to you! We have to go on a ride this year at some point!

I will warn I think this Fazer is a bit quicker then my old B-12...
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

looks like a nice rig.. enjoy
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Jedz...Great choice, a true all-around bike that will thrill you with every twist of the throttle. I have an '06 and we run new ones at the Yamaha school...can't break 'em and we all love they way they work. I'm a member of yamahafz1oa.com...and recommend it for the same reasons we love GSR. Good peeps and great info...Enjoy! NI

Comment

Thanks nick!
            My buddies swear by their FZ6's one of them has had his since the show room floor and has over 50k miles. Never broke down or need anything. He replaced the stock chain and sprockets last season with 40k miles on them. Thinking the FZ1 might be a little harder on those drive components but hoping for a bike that will run into no issues for at least 100k miles or more.
            First Yamaha. Thanks for the reference on the FZ1 forum, ill check it out after work today.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Great choice. Mine was similar when i picked it up, the clutch cover is actually quite cheap from the dealer. I installed a new one on my 03.

R1 forks, R6 rear shock, etc. Looking for a full exhaust next...

Comment

Beauty there! I was looking at FZ1 just down the road that was the same color as yours!It was an 02 with 28k miles and the sticker on it was $4500!!!! They wouldn't go bellow $4k for it so once my FZ1 popped up I jumped on it fast! Silver is really sharp. Was that suspension a direct swap? I plan on going the other way with the bike. Taller screen, taller bars, set it up for multiple 100 mile day rides.
                -J
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Killer kool bike!

No need to apologize for that bike, or the price you paid.
                  Got some road rash?
                  Well there must be woman who's pleased with this sale.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                    Silver is really sharp. Was that suspension a direct swap? I plan on going the other way with the bike. Taller screen, taller bars, set it up for multiple 100 mile day rides.
                    -J

Not exactly a direct swap. There is lots of info on the fz1 sites about the swap. I have 2ed gen fz1 bar risers on there too, gives a bit more rise and pull back on the bars, a Corbin seat, a few different screens, lower fairings not installed, but they are another nice tool for keeping the wind off ya. And I also have a full givi set of luggage for the long trips. Its a real mile burner, great fuel mileage too.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                      No need to apologize for that bike, or the price you paid.
                      Got some road rash?
                      Well there must be woman who's pleased with this sale.
                      Yeah Clutch cover is scrapped and the side of the fairing. That pic is the worst side of the bike. My wife is happy with it, she's hoping this bike spends more time on the road then me under it in the garage.

I'm guessing so, its a FZ rock solid as they come... So I'm told and have seen.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Clear winter day, keeping the juices flowing on a pair of bikes 26 years apart...is your FZ1 "home" yet?

Comment

Not yet... I pick it up Sunday, I couldn't take it home last Sunday for my Cage is a Yaris and it was 10' and snowing Not ridding 3+ hours on it... I do have the bill of sale in my hand and deposit is down. I'm going over with another member on here and we are picking it up with his vehicle.

Couldn't ride today we got about 3inches of snow and it's bitter cold. Just making space in the garage for the FZ for I have to work back to back 14+ hour shift from now till Sunday.

Very excited though!
                          Last edited by Jedz123; 02-21-2013, 06:16 PM.
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                          X