Project rambler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project rambler

I think I am getting old as I really enjoy riding my bone stock buffalo as much as anything else I have and have now just picked up a 64 rambler 770 classic to sit next to my AMX. She was a one owner car that Gerald bought new and drove till 1980, needing a bit of work it was parked in a buddies barn and was pulled out about a month ago. All the brakes were done and a little tlc presto she's running. 56,000 miles original on the 287 and you would swear its fuel injected. The flashomatic tranny working perfect she was driven into the body shop for a freshening,I stripped all trim and clips and have started the bit of bodywork it needs on the passenger rear wheel well and rocker. We will be painting it white with a red roof to match the excellent red interior and I picked up a set of crager bonneville wheels for it that I think will fit the look.

Grew up riding in the back of a 64 Rambler station wagon, my parents loved that car! Thanks for sharing!!!
    Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
    87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
    99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
    15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Does it have "scrambler" seats? Many a youngster popped their cherry in one so equipped. Not me personally but I have a buddy that did. Or so he said at least.

Looks like a fun summer "cruise night" ride too.

Enjoy.
      Spyug

Comment

Yep, some of my younger years were spent in a "64" classic 770. Pretty fancy for its day. If it's a 770, it should have AM/FM, even thou there were only 2 FM stations & they only played opra music, power steering, power brakes, power windows, power locks, reclining seats, 287 V8 motor with a 3 speed automatic trans., & "I think" ours had a cable to pull to put it in overdrive. Maybe not by todays standards, but back then, that was pretty well loaded
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Oh she has reclining seats alright. The 990 was the loaded up model the 770 was their intermediate model with padded dash,clock it even has a factory tissue holder under the dash and we all know what that was for

Comment

I agree the 990 was the top, & I think 220 was the bottom, but don't bust my bubble, in 1964 AC, windows, locks, power brakes, power steering, reclining seats, AM/FM, seat belts, V8, 3 spd. auto trans, w/ overdrive weren't intermitent in this part of the country, that was pretty dang high classed, and we had one, heck, it made me feel pretty high classed. Also be careful driving it, I remember the power brakes were so sensitive, you could barely touch the pedal without throwing yourself thru the windshield & the power steering was so powerful you had absolutely no feel of the road whatsoever. What wonderful memories
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

She's all done
              Now I need a fedora to complete the look

Comment

Nice! We had a Rambler SW when I was a kid, I remember a few camping trips in that one.

I also had a '67 Javelin that I bought in '75 for $400. I always liked that car

Comment

Originally posted by subid View Post
                  Nice! We had a Rambler SW when I was a kid, I remember a few camping trips in that one.

I also had a '67 Javelin that I bought in '75 for $400. I always liked that car
                  Must have been a 68. First year javelin

Comment

Originally posted by amxsteve View Post
                    We will be painting it white with a red roof.
                    What happened? I wasn't digging white with a red roof anyway. Nice car. First car I ever owned was a early '60s American. I was about 13. Guy told me it had a blown head gasket. Never got any farther than pulling the head.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                      What happened? I wasn't digging white with a red roof anyway. Nice car. First car I ever owned was a early '60s American. I was about 13. Guy told me it had a blown head gasket. Never got any farther than pulling the head.
                      I looked at cars online and that combo was not appealing to me. I think I made a wise choice.

Comment

Good to see another amc nut here heres my 71 gremlin X

motor amc 360

And my wifes 82 Amc Spirit project

motor 4.0

Comment

my friend is redoing up a 68 rambler rouge right now

Comment

The small NE town I grew up in had a American Motors dealership. Two of the mechanics had the red/white/blue Rambler Scramblers with the 390s in them. Always loved those cars.

Scrambler, AME, Rambler, Rambler (automobile), Automobile, Cars

Comment

Speaking of American Motors,I remember my brother had a "Levi" Gremlin.
                              Bought it brand new.
                              I love the AMX.

1978 GS1000C
                              1979 GS1000E
                              1980 GS1000E
                              2004 Roadstar

Comment

Working...
                              X