Rubber Expert? Suspension help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubber Expert? Suspension help

I have an on-going restoration of an old scooter with rubber suspension. the set up is trailing link on the front, and twin shocks on the rear. shocks for both the front and back look like shrouded coil over damper types, but are infact using rubber disks, each about 2cm thick, stacked with lipped washers to provide both the spring and damping. The shocks are original and 49 years old.

I need new rubber, and while I understand durometer testing and a I know a little about shore ratings, I am having some difficulty selecting what TYPE of rubber, and the exact Shore rating I need.

What I do know is that I need a Young's modulous of about 5.2 MPa (5-6MPa is workable), with of course a quick rebound, high cycle life and oil resistance. Note there is no brake fluid around, I have brake cables. The rubber also needs to be able to compress by about 45-50%. If I can get the stuff in sheets or blocks I have all the cutting equipment imaginable to shape it, but I really cannot determine what to order.

Can anyone help?
    I've been looking in to Buna-N or some sort of polyurethane but I cannot find a decent resource on the properties
    Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2013, 09:38 AM.

For maximum springiness, use natural rubber. For maximum damping, use butyl.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
    X