gs1000 bored out - questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000 bored out - questions

I found a gs1000 motor that is bored out to 1200cc.

How would it compare in quickness to... lets say... a 16 valve 1100?

Would it be as simple as just swapping the motors over, or would it need different carbs etc?
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

It would see the 1100's tail light disapear a little slower
    My stable
    84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
    85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
    88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
    98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
    90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
    06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
    00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

So... not worth the trouble or even be an upgrade then right?
      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
      80 gs1000s

Comment

I think it depends on its price and what you want to do with it. Street use? race?
        I don't think carbs match up the same, but headers do. it will bolt into a 4 valve frame, just have to modify one front motor mount.

Comment

Originally posted by Starion007 View Post
          I think it depends on its price and what you want to do with it. Street use? race?
          I don't think carbs match up the same, but headers do. it will bolt into a 4 valve frame, just have to modify one front motor mount.
          it is a 1000e engine so it will obviously fit in my 1000e frame, it has only been bored out to 1200cc...

just wondering if it would be much faster and whether I can use the same carbs and jetting that I have on my stock bike
          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

A chain drive 1000 cylinder can not be bored out to 1200 without changing the cylinder liners. The typical 3mm over bore kit makes the engine 1085cc, not 1200. The biggest over bore for the engine is 3.5mm, and the liners are getting quite thin at that point. I'd question the size of the engine unless someone provided you with more information as to what's been done to it.

It's somewhat rare for someone to go though all the trouble of building a big engine without also doing something to the head/cams. If the over bored engine has aftermarket cams, then it may have a good deal more oomph that a simple stock over bored engine. Again, more info needed before you can judge.

My understanding is the 1100 and 1000 chain drive engines interchange, other than the engine mount bolt under the crankcase won't align. This bolt is not overly important anyway so you can just skip it, or buy some conversion plates. I'm not an expert on swaps like this so use this information as a trigger to research more. There are threads in the archives on this subject so please dig around using the search feature if someone doesn't chime in with more info.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

ok thanks much appreciated. Actually thay say it is a 1000cc bored to 1220ccs but i will do some questioning and more research
              82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
              80 gs1000s

Comment

people lie or are misinformed over the years.
                some things never change.
                it's a chunk of money to go bigger than 1100cc on an 8 valve chain drive engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
                  it is a 1000e engine so it will obviously fit in my 1000e frame, it has only been bored out to 1200cc...

just wondering if it would be much faster and whether I can use the same carbs and jetting that I have on my stock bike
                  I wasn't if sure you were putting it in your 1000's frame. How much is the motor?
                  If you can take a closer look at it pull the clutch cover and look into the crank throw to see if its welded, if it is buy it.
                  You could have a real jewel there.
                  A piston kit and bore job would be about $800-$900 ??

Comment

Ok thanks, I appreciate the info...I will let you all know what I find out.
                    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                    80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
                    X