Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NHRA bike rules?

Hello, it's me again!!

I am still in the conversion of my street bike to a drag bike, however I may not be able to get my one piece body in time.

How do most tracks feel about running without a body?

I will have an aluminum wheel well and seat. What are some things they might frown upon?

NHRA has an online rule book. All you have to do is register with the web site and you can download the rule book. The rear end is the sticky point with no body due to the rear tire for protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Kris V View Post
      NHRA has an online rule book. All you have to do is register with the web site and you can download the rule book. The rear end is the sticky point with no body due to the rear tire for protection.
      I just don't know when I'll get my body in. But the rear would have a rear wheel well over the tire and below the seat. I know my home track allowed a snowmobiled powered bike and he only had a seat and a flimsy piece of tin covering the rear wheel.

I just need someone to buy all mu stock body work so I can buy my drag body.

Does NHRA charge to register? I thought I tried it one time and they wanted a year subscription, i'll look again.

Comment

That I don`t know. But if you decide to race and go faster than 9.99 in the 1/4 mile you will have to get a license and part of getting that license is joining the NHRA.

Comment

Yeah, I plan to, but not tonight.. lol And I won't be hitting 9.99's anytime this year, just getting used to the bike and building it in a way I feel happy with it before going after the motor. The motor I will be running is a bone stock 81 GS1100 motor. The motor is the easy thing, the hard part is getting the rolling part done.

Comment

Yep, I here ya on that. I have three of them to take care of.

Comment

I need to find more people selling them tho, not keeping them..

Comment

you have to have a fender that covers the width and at least to the 12'oclock centerline of the rear tire. same as the chain guard over the chain and rear sprocket
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                  you have to have a fender that covers the width and at least to the 12'oclock centerline of the rear tire. same as the chain guard over the chain and rear sprocket
                  But thats about all they require isn't it? I mean I can't see needing any other body work making it safer. At least till i get a body

Comment

Ok racers, how is this fender setup?

The fender is 5.5" wide with a rolled lip for strength, it will be the same width as my slick, do I need to be wider?

I will be building a battery box that will lower the fender protection. My only question is does my swingarm tank need to be protected? Lines coming out of it? Im not worried about it myself, but I don't make the rules.

Just need to lower my forks a bit yet.

Comment

I have one for sale right now if your interested...

Comment

Put a Busa wheel back there they are cheep and use a 7'' slick. How wide is your swingarm at the axle?
                        Last edited by stetracer; 04-08-2013, 08:35 PM.
                        My stable
                        84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                        85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                        88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                        98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                        90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                        06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                        00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

This is a 1981 GS1100 with 1327 piston kit,Gardner welded crank.FBG 5 speed trans,Dnya 4000 drag pro ignition and all of the bells and whistels from Dynatek (this bike was the Dynatek prototype bike)RC rims,MRE lockup clutch,MRE airshift electric/nitrogen,1150 head ported & polished and it is push button start. It has the body that you want...

Comment

Tempting Kris, but im building one so I know what i like and don't like, walk before run.

But my question was, does anyone know the rules on a rear fender, as wide as the tire or wider? Is what I have ok?

Comment

NHRA 2013 rulebook Section 4C Page 14 under Body: 7 Rear Fender: Rear fender must cover the full width of the rear tire and extend behind the rear axle and forward below seat position.

That's all the NHRA rulebook says about rear fenders on E.T. motorcycles and the rule is the same for Advanced E.T. motorcycles.

From what I see in your photos I'd say you have it covered but I'm not a track tech inspector. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X