Is there a better bike for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a better bike for me?

I'm thinking of adding another bike to my stable. I'm looking for a standard bike from 900-1200 cc's. Something about late 80's mid 90's, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki or Honda I don't care. I'd like watercooling, a fairing & a upright riding position (no clip-ons, I'm 61 years old)

Suggestions please

Paul
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

the newest Concours that you can afford. I've seen 1400 abs ones for as low as $5K! The 1000's aren't bad ones either, although a little top heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
      I'm thinking of adding another bike to my stable. I'm looking for a standard bike from 900-1200 cc's. Something about late 80's mid 90's, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki or Honda I don't care. I'd like watercooling, a fairing & a upright riding position (no clip-ons, I'm 61 years old)

Suggestions please

Paul
      BMW K1100RS...comfortable, handles great, good brakes, looks good, parts are avalible, reliable.
      You can get a very nice one for 5K...
      Our '95:
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Everyboly' has different likes & dislikes, & I kind of like them all. I now have 2 Suzuki Bandit 1200 "S"'s. I traded for a 1999 model & liked it so good, I went & baught a 2005 model, just cause it, in my opinion, looked a whole lot better. The only thing I would change about the B-12's, would be to have a shaft drive. In my later yrs, 59, I really have learned to dislike the dirtyness of the chain oil. I also have a Kawasaki ZRX, a lot like the bandits, but with a smaller fairing. Both are sporty bikes, but with a comfortable riding position. Just my opinion.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I have to admit, I absolutely love the ZRX.
          80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

yeah !!! but the Bandit is a "SUZUKI"
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I have never tried a BMW K model RS, but I have ridden Airhead RS models. The riding position is far to forward leaning on short stubby bars for me. If looking at BMW, I would be more inclined to the RT, or even the nekkid version.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I'm not 61 (44 actually), but I do like the ST series of sport-tourers from Honda. The 1200 was the first of the bunch to have an adjustable windscreen, and it actually makes a difference in riding comfort. I might not go as old as the 1100 though.

The Connie is not a bad choice, either, and quite popular with people over on the ADVrider forum.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Mmm-hmm, sounds like a Concourse fits the bill. Or the aforementioned K-bike, also a nice option.

Bob, is there anything funky with maintenance of your K-bike? Like $45 oil pan drain bolt washers that you HAVE to use or something like that? How long between suggested valve adjusts? I'd love one for a distance touring rig someday.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                    Mmm-hmm, sounds like a Concourse fits the bill. Or the aforementioned K-bike, also a nice option.

Bob, is there anything funky with maintenance of your K-bike? Like $45 oil pan drain bolt washers that you HAVE to use or something like that? How long between suggested valve adjusts? I'd love one for a distance touring rig someday.
                    Pretty low maintenance, but a few odd ball things.
                    Valve check every 12K, but since the motor is sideways, it is very easy to do.
                    The oil filter is inside of the oil pan, so you have to drain the oil, remove a cover and use a filter wrench to change it.
                    A new clutch is many hundreds of dollars in parts and whole lot of labor, but that is a once every 80-100K kind of job.
                    Biggest pain would be the transmission input spline lube, which is every 40K...
                    I shared the process here:

Over all they are reliable, and most parts are easy to get. Part prices can be high, but not too bad.
                    There are two or three good forums to help you out.

I think the riding position is wonderful...

If mine is totaled, I will highly consider another one.
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Honda V65 Sabre, fairly cheap, reliable (if basic maintenance is done), powerful and can cruise all day long at 80 mph and 4K rpm. Guys that own em', love em'..........
                      Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                      87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                      99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                      15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado View Post
                        Honda V65 Sabre, fairly cheap, reliable (if basic maintenance is done), powerful and can cruise all day long at 80 mph and 4K rpm. Guys that own em', love em'..........
                        Seems like there is a lot of hand ringing on the forums about a cam or oiling issue with the early Honda V bikes.

But I see that you have two so I'm guessing there is a fix or remedy?

Fast bike in its day...

Comment

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post
                          Seems like there is a lot of hand ringing on the forums about a cam or oiling issue with the early Honda V bikes.

But I see that you have two so I'm guessing there is a fix or remedy?

Fast bike in its day...
                          Those cam issues are HIGHLY overstated, I've restored 50 V65 Magnas and only had cam issues on a couple, and they were HIGH mileage bikes, over 100K. There is an oil mod that you can do to take oil up to the top end, that's the likely "cause" of the premature cam failure. What I think happens is that they are notorious for low oil pressure at idle. So during the winter, guys start them up and let them sit and idle for long periods of time, and this causes the excessive cam wear. I have NEVER installed an oil mod, I don't believe in them, and boy do the guys that support them take issue to this! Is it a good insurance policy? Absolutely, but so is lightning insurance, and I'm not rushing out to buy that either, I'll take my chances and from my PERSONAL experience, it's not that big a problem. Granted, most of my bikes were from Texas too, where there really is no "winter", so that might explain why I haven't seen the issue very much. The REAL issue is 2nd gear, those are notorious for going out, just like the VMAX, and repair can cost 2K or more, not worth it based on the bikes value. You can get a NICE V65 Sabre in the 1500 dollar range, I've gotten decent ones for 500 bucks before. The gauge cluster is also a big issue, they have a tendency to fog up, and there's really no good way to fix it, the good ones are few and far between, and can bring 300-500 bucks on eBay. That all being said, they are GREAT touring bikes, especially if equipped with the Hondaline fairing. For the price, they are pretty hard to beat!
                          Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                          87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                          99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                          15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                            BMW K1100RS...comfortable, handles great, good brakes, looks good, parts are avalible, reliable.
                            You can get a very nice one for 5K...
                            Our '95:
                            Looks a lot like my ST 1100. Riding position looks about the same also. My favorite thing about the bike though is it's 7.4 gal tank which equates to 300+ miles without a stop if that's what you are inclined to do. I used to do those kinds of distances but today at age 67, I sort of like to get off a little more often to stretch the legs.
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

So far I love my R1100RSL. I'm new to BMW's. I've owned it for about 4weeks.With the adjustable seat and bars you can make it fit anyone. I'm a short guy (30"inseam) the bike fits me perfect. I've put on 2600 miles so far. I rode up to Buffalo, NewYork for "Buffalo Wings" I'm heading to Chicago in two weeks for pizza...
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                              X