got stuck in the rain and got soaked but....Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got stuck in the rain and got soaked but....Help

so i got stuck in this crazy rain and i was soaked but my bike had smoke coming out the front i wasn't sure what it was i thought it was the engine oil so i went and bought oil and i added the whole bottle i don't know how!!! this is a brand new bike i bought it off some one its 2011 cbr 250. But after i added the oil there was still smoke coming out the front but there wasn't any smell can it be still the engine oil like need more or was it just because of the rain and the weather.

Is it smoke or steam? When a hot engine gets wet there is usually steam produced.

Comment

not sure, but when i added the oil like it didnt come out at all i couldnt see it and apparently the oil level stick is broken and the seller didnt tell me, i think it was mostly steam because it didnt smell like anything was burning. i just want to make sure. But when i got back home and parked it i could smell some oil burning but that might just be from me spilling a bit.

Comment

also, check brake fluid dripping from reservoir...

Comment

There is a chance it was just steam from water pooling.
          The 2011 has a full lower cowl/fairing.
          I would check the oil level before riding again to make sure it is not over-filled.
          April showers indeed.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

almarconi is probably correct, just steam from the headers...

First thing you need to do is find out how to check the oil level and do it.
            You added a quart of oil without knowing if it was low. It is very doubtful a new bike was leaking oil, so you probably overfilled it.

Break out the owners manual and check the oil...then get back to us.
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Cant be brake fluid it was in the front, and no oil in there, have to get it fixed

Phew now i feel better knowing it was steam nothing more. Oh man riding in this rain was crazy. it wasnt hard but getting soaked not having the right gear is noooo fun

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

Break out the owners manual and check the oil...then get back to us.
                the smoke came out when i stopped only. I thought it did since my old bike had a dip stick

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                  the smoke came out when i stopped only. I thought it did since my old bike had a dip stick
                  Yes, but you added oil and probably didn't need to...so it may be overfilled, which is not good.
                  Find out how to check the oil on that bike and do it...
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

ya I think that's what it was but me adding the oil was out of fear bad move I guess

Comment

The Daytona steams like crazy in heavy rain just off the radiator. I only notice it at lights (or stop and go - which I especially avoid in the rain)
                      Added oil out of fear? hahaha. sorry too funny.

Comment

Better too full than too low !!

Comment

Well hopefully no major issues will arise from my wanting to be cautious...

These gosh darned new bikes can really get you going, better off with the 30 year old stuff...

Comment

The CBR250R has an oil sight glass, just like the GSes. Check it with both wheels on the ground and the bike level. I'd definitely do that before running it again. Both over- and under-filled are bad in my opinion.
                            Charles
                            --
                            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Another thought: The bike is water-cooled, so check to make sure your coolant is still topped up. It's possible that a hose is leaking, broke, or disconnected.
                              Charles
                              --
                              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                              X