1952 yamaha 200electric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1952 yamaha 200electric

OK my father in law has had this bike since about 1961 and I was wondering if there is even a market in the USA for these particular little machines.

Originally posted by adam View Post
    OK my father in law has had this bike since about 1961 and I was wondering if there is even a market in the USA for these particular little machines.
    Not really sure what you have there , if you google it , it comes back that Yamaha didn't build a motorcycle until 1954 and it was a Air cooled 2 stroke , model name YA-1.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
      Not really sure what you have there , if you google it , it comes back that Yamaha didn't build a motorcycle until 1954 and it was a Air cooled 2 stroke , model name YA-1.
      Which was a copy of the same DKW as was the Harley Hummer, BSA Bantam, and Royal Enfield Flying Flea.
      Last edited by 850 Combat; 04-14-2013, 10:39 PM.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I'm thinking we will require a few photographs.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Pictures are going to be a little while, however I can tell you this bike is rough shape. The tank is pretty rusty inside. The brakes are locked up and it is harder than heck to find parts. Its a 1952 Yamaha 200 electric. The model number is a CS5E. I will be getting pics of it as soon as I can but right now the only camera I have is my phone and it really sucks hard on taking pics. If you wanna see the mint condition version of this bike just google/bing search 1952 CS5E and you will see it. Its the little purple and white one.

Comment

UK motorbike web directory and search engine, one of the fastest growing motorctcle websites in the UK

Looks to be about 20 years newer than 1952.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Well crap I just looked at the title and yeah sorry for the mislead but still anyone know what the value of something like that is in good running condition. sorry for the mislead again the title is hard to read. I can probably get a pic of the title to when I get a working camera again. And yes rustybronco link is correct.

Comment

I actually had one of these at one time: "wing-ding-ding-ding-ding."
                Lots of wheelies and these cute little perfectly round contrails............

Comment

Didn't those have the generator and starter as one unit? Look at the Suzuki 125 Stinger in the back ground of the photo on the right. I wanted one of those as a kid.

Cute bike but 70's not 50's.

Comment

I thought the Stingers looked kool, but it turns out they were underpowered compared to their competition.
                    The Yamaha was the precursor to the reed valve models. Dependable for a two stroke, but you had to keep the oil tank full. Many of them now have the pump disabled and are burning pre-mix, something I always refused to do.

Comment

The autolube pumps are reliable in my experience. My RD had a nail driven into the pump where a roll pin belonged, and the pump was cracked. I don't call that a pump failure, its a PO failure. I fixed that before the motor got rebuilt. Premix only puts the bike on a pretty short tether to the gas can, unless you are into carrying partial bottles of oil and pretending to measure and mix in the tank.

When I had a brand new RD400 in the 70's, it got about 600 miles to a quart of oil. 3-1/2 quarts every 3000 miles in a 4 stroke isn't much better.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I loved my two strokes and would still be riding them today if they were still importing them. I had the following:
                        T200
                        T305
                        T500
                        RD350x2
                        CanAm 250
                        RM125C

Loved them all, much faster than the same size 4 strokes of the day.
                        And all of those with the pumps used the pumps. They worked fine for me.

Comment

So if I could locate all the parts needed to fix it what do you guys think it would be worth?

Comment

Clean looking and roadworthy, maybe $1500 if you found the right guy. It would not be easy to sell.

Comment

While it does have the advantage of having an electric starter, the 200cc two strokes were at a disadvantage. Most preferred either the 250 class, like the X-6 Hustler, or the 305/350 class, like the Biig Bear Scrambler or the RD350s (and their precursors, similar to the bike you are looking at).
                              I owned a Suzuki 200cc twin; it was barely able to make it to freeway speeds, and I only weighed 120 pounds at the time. Great town bikes, btw.

Comment

Working...
                              X