Tires - Sport Touring Radials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires - Sport Touring Radials

So I figure its about time to start another tire thread.

Picked up some Conti Road Attack 2's last year for my Daytona. They're a high mileage sport touring tire apparently but I managed to only get about 7500km out I really liked them and my only real complaint was the wear. In the rain they were incredible - which is important on the coast.

Now I find myself considering the Michelin Pilot Road 3's SO many good reviews.

What are you guys using on your newer rides with radials?

Sorry, even my newest ride (2000 GL1500) does not use radials.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by bluewool View Post
      So I figure its about time to start another tire thread.

Picked up some Conti Road Attack 2's last year for my Daytona. They're a high mileage sport touring tire apparently but I managed to only get about 7500km out I really liked them and my only real complaint was the wear. In the rain they were incredible - which is important on the coast.

Now I find myself considering the Michelin Pilot Road 3's SO many good reviews.

What are you guys using on your newer rides with radials?
      I've switched to the Pilot Road 3s on my "modern" Kawasaki 1000ZX.
      These tires are really in another category alltogether.
      Let me explain: I like to carry a lot of speed entering corners and this hurts the front tire a lot resulting in the typical triangular wear.
      On my previous BMW K 1200 RS, I sold the bike because every 4 to 5 thousand km, the bike became literally unrideable due to the front tire wear.
      On my Kawasaki, the first OEM tire ( Bridgestone) went the same way after 6000 km.
      I then switched to the PR3's and I now have run approximately 10000 km and the tires are only starting to show the triangular wear pattern
      I bought the same tires for my wife's Hornet 600 and same thing, the tires wear very evenly without hurting the bike's behavior.
      It would be very difficult to tempt me to go to another manufacturer and I haven't even talked about how they glue to the road when it rains...
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
      GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
        I've switched to the Pilot Road 3s on my "modern" Kawasaki 1000ZX.
        These tires are really in another category alltogether.
        Let me explain: I like to carry a lot of speed entering corners and this hurts the front tire a lot resulting in the typical triangular wear.
        On my previous BMW K 1200 RS, I sold the bike because every 4 to 5 thousand km, the bike became literally unrideable due to the front tire wear.
        On my Kawasaki, the first OEM tire ( Bridgestone) went the same way after 6000 km.
        I then switched to the PR3's and I now have run approximately 10000 km and the tires are only starting to show the triangular wear pattern
        I bought the same tires for my wife's Hornet 600 and same thing, the tires wear very evenly without hurting the bike's behavior.
        It would be very difficult to tempt me to go to another manufacturer and I haven't even talked about how they glue to the road when it rains...
        Thanks John, your enthusiasm is appreciated! and not uncommon with these tires it seems.

Comment

I have gotten very good service from them on my 2006 SV650, especially on the front.
          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Eric says..........

They work great even on snow and ice.

GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Love them on my bandit

Comment

Ran a set on my B-12 pilot 3's. Great soft tire. Traction is unmatched in rain but it will cost you tire life... Soft compound and more grooves make this tire more sceptical to wear. Got 4k miles on the rear before it was shot. Front cupped maybe a 1k miles after that and was unusable.

I'm currently running Shinko 009 Ravens. One of the hardest compound on the market I have nearly 2k miles on the rear tire and it looks like it hasn't used up much of the rubber. Traction isn't the greatest in the rain but its a high mileage hard radial so I wasn't expecting it to be. I hope to exceed 5k miles. And for less then $100 for a rear you really can't go wrong. Sure its hard and if its cold there is very little feedback but theh are good above 50'. Rain treads off them well. Its definitely a more tour then sport tire.

Road pilot 2's are awesome, they will last longer the the 3's and grip very well. My FZ1 had RP2s and it had 6k miles on the tire when it was time for replacement... But that's with my miles plus what the PO said he had for miles... It was an awesome tire regardless...

My 2 cents.
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I now have a little over 2800 miles (2600 of them was on one trip) on a set of Conti Motion Sport Touring tires. So far, so good for only costing $184.

Comment

I've mostly run PR2s on my Bandit and really like them. I'll replace this set with another set (or maybe I'll try the PR3s) later this season.
                    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

I had conti motions on my Bandit 1200. Tire died 3k miles later .
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                      Originally posted by Hayabuser
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I've got a PR3 on the front and a PR2 on the back of my K1100RS. (The rear PR3 wasn't available when I needed tires.)
                        Ran them all last season. They handle very nice and seem to be wearing well.
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I've run PR2's and 3s on my FZ1 as well as Jedz123. The PR2 got me an unbelieveable 6500 miles- the most I've ever got out of a tire. Usually wear through a set of anything in 4500 miles. I don't have a lot of mileage on the PR3, but as said, it is very good in the wet. Ride quality on both is very good, the PR3 possibly better but also as said it might be a softer tire.

Am hearing very good things about the new Bridgestones coming out, Battlax T30 I think they are called? Dual compound touring tire. Rossi even demos them on an FZ1- yessa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vXze7JcILY4
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Another vote for PR2s first tire I ever got two seasons out of.( only rode 5 thou last year) I got over 8 thou on my last set, and I ride moderately hard .

Comment

I ran Continental Road Attacks on the Bandit from 2005 until 2012. They are exceptional for tracking and adhesion in rain or dry. I averaged 6500 miles on a set and the front and rear wore at exactly the same rate on the B12. In 2012, I heard good things about the Michelin PR2 and bought a set for the Bandit. The front PR2 was worn out at 5500 miles. The rear PR2 now has 11000 miles on it and still has about 20% tread left. (the PR3 is softer and I would not expect the mileage of the PR2)

The PR2 handles well, but it is not in the same class for traction and ability in the rain as the Road Attack. My next tire purchase, which will be soon, will likely be a Road Attack front (better mileage and better handling than the PR2) and a PR2 rear, (decent handling and double the mileage of the Road Attack. I have locked up and slid the front PR2 on dry pavement. I can't make a Road Attack slide before doing a stoppie.

I considered Shinko 009's, but even at half the price of the PR2 they cost more per mile than the PR2. (I figure I would have to buy 2 1/2 sets of shinkos to get the miles of one set of PR2) On top of that, The Shinko is a hard tire, traction is not going to be the same, particularly compared to a Road Attack on the front where I want good bite and great tracking.

I have scraped the center stand coming around a curve on Road Attacks. I would not attempt it on PR2's.
                              Last edited by earlfor; 04-29-2013, 11:15 PM.
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                              X