Its come along ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its come along ways

Well, I think I'm about 3 weeks out from being ready for the track again after a year off. I moved out to WY and was too broke and busy to get to the track, but now after settling in a bit the bug bit me, and bit me hard. The bike I loved to ride around on the street has slipped from streetable to almost naughty. I bought the bike in 2008 in Phoenix for $275. This is what it looked like the day I brought it home. A few broken and missing parts and some extras I needed to get rid of.

This picture here is after I moved back to South Dakota in 2009 after 2 cans of spray paint, a cheep seat covering and a shiny new V&H Sidewinder. After selling the sissy bar, rack, handle bars, engine guard, and some odds and ends on eBay, I used the money to buy some parts I needed to complete it. At this point after selling off parts from it I have about $150 more in it, total of $425. I rode this around for that summer, raced it a few times but liked racing more.

That brings us to 2010 (see my Thunder Valley Tech sticker). As you can see, very little changes, swingarm and a bit of rake. I bought the swingarm on eBay for a steal at $100, maybe no one noticed it on there, or just was afraid of the listing. I sold my stock swingarm on eBay for $75 making this upgrade $25 plus time raking the frame and reassembling. Making this a $500 street/strip wonder. I loved it, really did.

And now we are here, after getting bit by the bug and needed to get back on the track. I stripped the bike of street status, selling off whatever I can to make up some of my cost on buying race parts. Starting with a $500 bike, adding another $700 in body, electronics and some paint. Subtracting $100 for the side covers that sold on eBay, I have a $1100 dragbike. I still have to buy a slick and air-shifter yet, along with some oods and ends, on the bright side, I have 12 listings for sale on eBay that end tonight. The listings if ended now will pay for my slick, but Im guessing I will make back about $300. So with all said and done, I will guess I'll end up with about a $1000 dragbike. Not too shabby if you ask me. But still have to shorten the front end yet, add slick and air shifter.

What do you guys think so far, would you spend $1000 for it? How much do guy have into your first dragbike?
    If you want to help, here are my eBay listings ending tomorrow!!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/kolberg_1/m....p2047675.l2562
    Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2013, 08:39 PM.

that is a really nice job for the money. bike looks great......
    just goes to show you dont have to be a millionaire to build a dream bike, bit of luck on parts and some clever "wheelin and dealin" and anything is possible.

post some more pics with the slick and some of it on the strip, when you get there......
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      that is a really nice job for the money. bike looks great......
      just goes to show you dont have to be a millionaire to build a dream bike, bit of luck on parts and some clever "wheelin and dealin" and anything is possible.

post some more pics with the slick and some of it on the strip, when you get there......
      Oh I will, Im getting more excited along the way. And thanks to madjack he has been my motivation. If it wasn't for him selling me his old drag body, saving me $500, I would probably be sitting on my thumbs yet.

Comment

Well, all the eBay items came to $307, pretty close to $300. So my air shifter will cost me $23 bucks

Comment

Very impressive.
          Now the fun begins in budget bracket racing.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
            Very impressive.
            Now the fun begins in budget bracket racing.
            I have bracket raced for years, but only 2 years with the bike off and on due to work. But now going to be racing with a more race only bike. Should be fun, but now comes the fun part, hooking everything up and getting everything mounted

Comment

How many inches over was the first extended swingarm you had? Did it help alot in keeping the front end down? Did it make the bike easier or harder to get down the strip?
              Also...what kind of E.T.'s and MPH were you turning from the bike when it was street legal and then after extending the swingarm?
              Thanks.

Comment

You don't need wheelie bars to bracket race
                You put yourself together a nice budget bracket racer there. You did beef up the clutch basket right? If you didn't you need to.
                My stable
                84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Originally posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
                  How many inches over was the first extended swingarm you had? Did it help alot in keeping the front end down? Did it make the bike easier or harder to get down the strip?
                  Also...what kind of E.T.'s and MPH were you turning from the bike when it was street legal and then after extending the swingarm?
                  Thanks.
                  I raked the front the same time I added the extended swingarm. I was running an old stock street tire so I never launched hard off the line, was sticking around 12.00@ 103 - 107 MPH depending if I shifted into 4th or not. I know on the street the extended swingarm and solid struts were a handful at the top of 2,3 and 4th gears, tires tries to run away from the pavement.

Comment

Originally posted by stetracer View Post
                    You don't need wheelie bars to bracket race
                    You put yourself together a nice budget bracket racer there. You did beef up the clutch basket right? If you didn't you need to.
                    You don't need a bike to bracket race either, been doing it with my chevelle for years... But I prefer my bike

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs1100 View Post
                      You don't need a bike to bracket race either, been doing it with my chevelle for years... But I prefer my bike
                      No you don't need a bike to bracket race. It is just a lot cheeper to go faster and quicker on a bike. The wheelie bars will help you be more consistant.

You never answered the question or I might have missed it in one of your post.

Did you beef up your clutch basket? That is a must do before you make your first pass.
                      My stable
                      06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph

Comment

No you don't need a bike to bracket race. It is just a lot cheeper to go faster and quicker on a bike. The wheelie bars will help you be more consistant.

You never answered the question or I might have missed it in one of your post.

Did you beef up your clutch basket? That is a must do before you make your first pass.
                        No, I guessI didn't answer, lol, no I have not, but then again, the motor is all stock and I don't plan to launch that hard, I raced this bike a few times over the last two years without issues. I probably wont need the bars anyways, just the price was right and took the picture with them is all. I'm going to run the bike easy for a while to get used to all the fancy electronics first. I plan to do what I can, short shift, slow launches to stay over 12 seconds till I get comfortable, get full leathers, and a delay box. The track I'll be racing at does not have a bike only class, and if I run faster then 12 seconds I'll be put in a class with Super Pro cars, all running delays and stops, and I seen their reaction times, until I get myself and bike ready to cut double digit reaction times I'll sticking with Sportsman.

Comment

I have seen many stock motors gernade the basket. At the very least pull the basket out and make sure the gear on the basket has not started loosing up and is tight to the basket. A stock GS1100 will run mid 10's the way you have your chassis set up.
                          My stable
                          06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph

Comment

I have seen many stock motors gernade the basket. At the very least pull the basket out and make sure the gear on the basket has not started loosing up and is tight to the basket. A stock GS1100 will run mid 10's the way you have your chassis set up.
                            I pulled it out when I got it running, tightened the springs, the rivets were good, the only thing bad was the nut holding the hub, threads rolled over. I bought the hardened nut from GSZONE and it hasn't loosened up yet. I will check it again before I run it the first time. I don't think it will make the 10's at this altitude tho.

Comment

Working...
                            X