Elkhorn Wis Flat track May 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elkhorn Wis Flat track May 5

I had the pleasure of meeting Curt (Bellucci) at the Grove last Fall and reading about several of those who live in the greater Chicagoland area exploits at the strips etc.
    I want to extend an invite to all in the area to join me for a ride to the half mile flat tack races at the Walworth County Fairgrounds in Elkhorn Wis. on May 5. The event includes a swap meet. The races start at 1 PM.
    I'll be at the Full Moon restaurant on US 41 (approximately 7 mile north of IL 22) @ 9:30 AM and plan to leave for the races @ 10:30. This is a full program of AMA amateur races, Classic vintage races and a $1000 purse for the 2 pro classes. Last year the event drew # 17 Henry Wiles and the Springsteen/ Werner Kawasaki team among many others. All the riders put on a great show!
    The 2012 event was run on a June rain date and it marked the first time in over 22 years that flat track was run at the Elkhorn track. It is the only true cushion track in the area which makes for a very exciting show.
    Back in the Heyday of flat track in our area in the '60's and 70's Elkhorn was a very popular track for racers and spectators alike. It was my favorite half mile!
    I plan to stop up at the Grove next Sunday to check out the Bracket bash but just in case the weather doesn't cooperate or something unforeseen happens I wanted to let you know about these races. If you don't have other plans I promise they won't disappoint you!

I'm in if the weather holds... I used to go to Santa Fe Speedway on the south side back when gas was a buck... Rode with John Lemme of Lemme 's Cycle Ranch in Palatine in the 70's... Should be a nice ride.
    Curt
    sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

probably 15 or 20 of us will be there .. icky ricky has the limo full
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

It's Wednesday and the forecast is improving making it look like the races will be a go. If you can't make the Full Moon look for the guy with a grey beard, beer gut and wearing an AMA logo baseball cap with a rhinestone life member pin and say hello! I like to sit about halfway up near the first aisle by turn one.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2013, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Gotcha... 847-334-1688
          sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

race cancelled
            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I took a call from the Elkhorn promoter at about 5 PM. He explained that the grounds were too wet for all the parking and foot traffic and such and the fairground authorities pulled the plug. I called "Bellucci" and he already knew and said you had posted
              it here
              The rain date is Thursday July 4. I plan on making that but, I'm sure I'll see you at the Grove before then.
              Ride & Race safe!

Comment

Working...
              X