Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My last GS project

Before getting started...

I have been gone from the GSR for a few years now. I was not working on anything new and closed down the few motorcycle forum accounts I had. I have continued to post now and then on dragbike.com.au and plan to post this project on both sites. They are a good group of people and for me the zero censorship compared to the American counterpart was a huge plus.

The goal for this project is to build my own EFI system and the GS will make a good test bike. This will not be a Megasquirt but rather based on my own electronics.

The throttle body is from a Harley Davidson. It should flow more than enough air for this project.

Raw materials to make up the plenum.

The start of the spigots.

The basic layout will have the turbocharger mounted front left. The air intake will be facing forward. I am planning to mount the wastegate in the header and the blowoff valve towards the rear.

I have been playing with an off brand turbocharger for my older GS but for this project I plan to run a Garrett. I have started to sand down the casting marks of the compressor housing. This is a little T04E A/R 60.

I am still looking for injectors and am planning on something from a small car engine.

I'm interested in your engine controls/computer plan. Are you retrofitting an automotive ecm or building your own controller from scratch? look forward to seeing how you come along with the project.
    1984 GS550ES
    Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
    4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

Yeap I don't post much either like back in the day, but it's nice to hear from you again Mark !
      1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
      1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
      1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
      1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
      01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Hey Jake! Good to see your still around. Miss reading your posts. Hope your bike projects are going smooth. Ryan ended up selling all the bikes and going to a car. You should check out his videos some time.

I haven't been getting to the track a whole lot. Last year I only went 5 times. I still own Jack Daniels old back halved chassis. My wife was getting a bit concerned about me riding it. I ended up adding 11 new support tubes to the chassis. All the force moved into the bars and they snapped the first time I tried to make a full pass with it. Ended up custom making a new set of bars. Bike rides like a dream now.

Video shows how bad it was and after all of the winter changes.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9afIfzeGtQ

I am planning to do all the electronics for this project myself, from scratch.

Polished the housing tonight and fitted the bell.

Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2013, 11:28 PM.

Comment

The Garrett hybrid
          Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2013, 11:30 PM.

Comment

The elbows came in today.

Comment

Comment

Tb

Nice to see a single TB for a change.
                G
                sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

The plenum and pump are from a friends old bike. The plenum was made from an ATP. It was flipped upside down and he made up a custom TB and linkage to control the valve. Engine ran on methanol and he was able to get enough in the motor, but it would overflow at low speeds. This was the reason for the drain valve in the bottom.

Comment

The biggest problem with this system is there was no compensation for the amount of manifold pressure he had.

Comment

Parts

Looks like some TL/SV tb's there along with some other stuff.
                      Any of it for sale?
                      Tnx
                      G
                      '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

Originally posted by gmansyz View Post
                        Looks like some TL/SV tb's there along with some other stuff.
                        Any of it for sale?
                        Tnx
                        G
                        These are all Harley Davidson parts except for the Chevrolet LS1 and old MFI system. I was looking for something close to the Garrett turbocharger I plan to use.

Comment

Had some spare time to change out the neck bearings and replace the dampener after it fell apart last year.

Comment

Winter is coming.

Went for a drive today and picked up a Gen I Hayabusa motor. I think I can cram it in there somehow. Next step is to head to the car scrap yards and find some injectors.

Comment

Great!!! I am trying to do the same to my Katana. Just distracted right now.
                              G

Comment

Working...
                              X