Buying a Beemer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a Beemer

Hey guys I'm going to look at BMW 1995 R1100RSL. I would like to hear any positive or negative input from anyone knowable about this motorcycle. It seems like a good deal. 60,000 miles. $3,600 all maintenance done by BMW technician a few upgrades. ..Thanks
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Don't know much about that particular model but I doubt you'll regret the purchase, they make very good motorcycles and if it's been looked after it won't miss a beat, ever
    Edit : and 60k is just run in for a boxer twin.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2013, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Beemer Parise

Mine is an RT, that being said I just finished a 3000 mile ride week before last and I gotta tell ya the more I ride it the more I like it. They are designed to do long days at high speeds. There are allot of rural roads in west Texas with 75 mph limits and one interstate between Austin and San Antonio has an 85 mph limit. The bike is stable and can do 10 over that all day long.

I have read numerous posts on some of the sites where owners are getting 300k out of the R1100's fairly regularly with no problems other than regular maintenance. One thing about them though, BMW over engineers everything. Parts are admittedly expensive and they are much more complicated to maintain. No big deal for a wrench with moderate skill but you'll want to take your time and be patient. Maintenance schedule seems to be overkill at times but if you hold to it you should be rewarded with years of trouble free service.

Some of the BMW's suffer from spline problems between the engine and gear box that can be expensive, you should check to see if yours has been lubed. The job is time intensive and if taken to a dealer expensive. The 1100 does not have a history of problems here though.

Great mileage too over the 3000 mi I averaged better than 45 mpg, 52.89 was the best and 38.43 with a stiff headwind after one of those signature Texas cold fronts when I was on my way home. Overall better than what I get on my "G".

I wouldn't get rid of the "G" for anything but the Beemer is a fine ride for rackin up the miles.

I love mine

Comment

How about a road trip.
        Less miles and a year newer.
        Just happened to see this ad today.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thank you guys for your input. And bbjumper I will keep a eye on that splin. I bought the bike. It's a beautiful motorcycle. I wasn't even looking for it, it kind of found me...It was on Craig's list in Cleveland Ohio. I was really looking at that 80 1000g in New York. Or the 78 1000e in Pennsylvania. I think I'll be happy with the bike I bought though. Not sure how my GS's will take to the edition.
          My Motorcycles:
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)

Comment

Congrats.
            How about a pic of the GS/Beemer combo.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I think you will be very happy...I like my '95 K-bike very much. It's a great bike for two up trips.
              Hook up with a good forum or two and you'll have all the maintenance info you'll ever need. They are not that hard to work on, just different.

Oh...Pictures are needed.
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                Thank you guys for your input. And bbjumper I will keep a eye on that splin. I bought the bike. It's a beautiful motorcycle. I wasn't even looking for it, it kind of found me...It was on Craig's list in Cleveland Ohio. I was really looking at that 80 1000g in New York. Or the 78 1000e in Pennsylvania. I think I'll be happy with the bike I bought though. Not sure how my GS's will take to the edition.
                Got that Storm64, I wasn't looking either, one Friday morning I'm drinkin my first cup and parusing the Craigslist motorcycles and I see mine, (2000 R1100RT, 12500 mi. one owner). That was at 0800, I called him, he said he had a guy scheduled to see it at 0900. I was there by 0830, did a test ride, had it paid for and was on my way home with it by 1030. I had never owned a BMW before and wasn't looking for one either but this one was beautiful and looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

It's not a GS, it's a different experience altogether but every time I open the garage she is callin to me to rider her like I stole her. They love to be ridden hard.

You will enjoy yours I'm sure.

Cheers

Comment

I finished a 2600 mile trip on my '02 RT this monday. Last June, a 4600 mile trip was made on it. I've done the Gold Wing and H D FL thing and prefer the BMW over both, even if it doesn't have all of the gadgets and electronics. It does have a J&M audio package on it, though. The ergonomics are more "correct", it handles like a sportbike in the twisties, has more than enough power, offers excellent weather protection, and gets up to 50 mpg. Maintenance is a breeze, as it's only a boxer.

Oh, and I paid only $5K for it, which is one fourth of what I paid for the Hondas and Harleys.

Comment

Originally posted by GS ace View Post
                    I finished a 2600 mile trip on my '02 RT this monday. Last June, a 4600 mile trip was made on it. I've done the Gold Wing and H D FL thing and prefer the BMW over both, even if it doesn't have all of the gadgets and electronics. It does have a J&M audio package on it, though. The ergonomics are more "correct", it handles like a sportbike in the twisties, has more than enough power, offers excellent weather protection, and gets up to 50 mpg. Maintenance is a breeze, as it's only a boxer.

Oh, and I paid only $5K for it, which is one fourth of what I paid for the Hondas and Harleys.

Yea, what he said!!

I was in your neighborhood Saturday before last on my way to Tyler. Love Texas this time of year, everything is in bloom, the Bluebonnets are fabulous and I love the Spring weather..

Comment

Norm's new bike!

Congrats on the purchase Norm! I have a Kawasaki Concours 1400 and I know you'll really enjoy having a comfortable long distance tourer. I expect to hear about you riding a few Iron Butt Association rides soon!

Norm sent me a couple photo's of his bike - so here it is!

IBA# 12860
                      Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                      1984 KZ1100R
                      2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                      2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Here's an old 1985 model for you BMW guy's

Comment

My Harley buddies told me I needed a "Big Twin" so I got one.
                          Thaks Glenn for the kind words, but I'm not sure about them Iron Butt rides.
                          My Motorcycles:
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                            My Harley buddies told me I needed a "Big Twin" so I got one.
                            Thaks Glenn for the kind words, but I'm not sure about them Iron Butt rides.
                            I don't think that is quite what they meant. LOL Maybe with some ape hangers and no muffler they'll like it. hehe
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Nice lookin bike.To answer your question RS1100's were know for surging. BMW MOA would be the organization to check out
                              1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                              Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X