Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My FZ750 project that's not a project....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My FZ750 project that's not a project....

....but is becoming one

The new to me FZ750 that I traded the GS550 for was supposed to be a ready to go street bike having just gone through the certification process a few hundred kms ago. As I have to get it recertified, I figured I'd sort out a couple of issues that could cause me some grief in that process.

The primary issue has been hard starting. The bike would start with a bunch of fiddling but the carbs were obviously gummed up so having a spare set that came with the parts bike, I figured I'd clean and rebuild them, which I did last week thinking I'd swap them out on the weekend.

Now since the carbs were quite dirty, I figured I'd best look at the plugs too since the previous owner only had the bike for a few months and didn't know the history. To get at the plugs, you need to remove the rad as these bikes are liquid cooled. Now the rad did leak a touch when hot and when I took off the bodywork, I could see why:

It had been smucked. Luckily, the parts bike had a good one, so I cleaned that up and repainted it.

Not perfect but leakproof.

Now once the rad was sorted, I got to the plugs and that turned out to be another adventure. They are damned hard to get to. The engine is canted about 45 degrees forward and the plugs sit deep in the head. The plug holes are also quite narrow and you need a deep and thin walled socket to get at them. Luckily, at Mr. Gatekeeper's innaugral firing up the previous weekend, we found all of this out and that the tube socket from a GS toolkit worked perfectly with the aid of a long L shaped allen key to turn it. Very fiddly and time consuming but it works. The holes also accumulate grit and grease so you have to clean things out well before pulling the plugs.

The plugs were fine and reuseable. The caps not so much. Two were cracked and one was completely broken. Again the parts bike came to the rescue.

Finally, with all the plugs back in and the rad on I could pull the old carbs and get the fresh ones on. One of the easiest carb swaps ever IMHO. As the engine is canted forward the carbs sit straight upright between the two frame rails. Easy off and on and no more than 5 minutes work.

With the carbs back in place and the I/V gas taank set up, one thumb of the button and a tad of choke and she fired right up. Joy was short lived however as 2 float bowls are leaking.

Unlike GSs, these carbs have o-ring float bowl gaskets which are not cheap at $12.50 apiece and of course my local dealer had none in stock. It wasn't exactly a wasted trip however as they have a new counter guy there and he too is an FZ owner and he has a freshly cleaned and rebuilt carb set with all new o-rings that he would sell me for $100. So $50 for new o-rings or $100 for new o-rings & carbs....difficult decision

These bikes while similar to the GS series in some ways are quite different in others but its all good and I'm glad I've cut my teeth on the good old GS. I'm sure I'll have another one sooner than later but for now I have to muddle on with the project that's not a project. What's next, you just know there is going to be something.

Cheers,
    Spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2013, 01:39 PM.

Another FZ thread?

Comment

Well not exactly. I had hoped this was a turn key and ride bike but unfortunately this site and GSs have ruined me for that idea.......and hanging around with Gatekeeper is not helping as he's egging me on.

Unlike GK, I don't need my bikes to be pristine, just safe, reliable and clean so I'm not going to show the bike striped down to a bare frame then put back together like it came off the factory floor....that's GK job. No, I was just trying to illustrate the things that can lead you off your chosen path.

In this case one little bit of maintenance, leads to something else which leads to something else and so on. I'd like to show the new folks that all old rides are pretty much like that and we all go through this "trial" just about everytime we get a new ride.

I think its also important for them to see that we old sweats are not infallible (well maybe with the exception of friend Steve ) and cockups happen to us all.

I'm not going to do a blow by blow but I will throw up the odd thing if I think someone may learn something from it. As I mentioned, I've learned so many things about bikes from this site that gives me the confidence to tackle any other make or model. The more I play in this hobby the more I learn and often a piece of information on another bike site can help solve a problem I may be facing.

Information is power and I'd just like to share.

cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

Gotta love em!

Hope to get the FZR 1000 on the street tomorrow for some tuning and update my thread.

Good work so far, keep it going.

Nic
        83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Spyug, you stealing my Thunder.....LOL

You go for it my friend, but I am the only one insane enough to do a full strip down knock em down, and bring it back to life.....

Gotta love these old bikes, what else would we be doing, probably going to the titty bar and throwing good money on something we would not be able to bring home at all....at least these girls we can bring home, and the wives don't complain too much.

Well we have done the GS, doing the Yamaha, all we need is to get an old Honda and Kawasaki and we will be well rounded....but lets leave that for next year maybe....

It's good and lot's of fun....well most times.....

Hope you get the bike sorted, soon as the weather over the next few days is going to be amazing.......

Comment

Working...
          X