1976 GT550 hard to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1976 GT550 hard to start

I've got a friend who has a 76 GT550 in good shape, but is really hard to start. We have rebuilt EVERTHING on it. New Suzuki pistons & rings, rebuilt crank, carbs, starter. New points and condensers. Timing set, carbs synced. Compression is 120. Sometimes it will start, but won't idle below 1500rpm. Any ideas?? Thanks Mark

Welcome. Right off the bat there is a problem with your carbs, obviously, if it won't idle. You say you rebuilt them. Did you clean them in carb dip and instal new o-rings?
    If you didn't, you need to start there. There is a carb cleaning tutorial on our main page and here: http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...d_Tutorial.pdf If you don't do it this thoroughly, they will never run right.

In addition, you mention rebuilding everything. When you assembled the engine did you adjust the valves. Tight valves will make for hard starting.

It also could be that you're not getting good spark. Did you test the spark? It is fairly common with older bikes that the coils don't get full voltage due to corrosion and dirt at connectors. You may have 12.5+ volts at the battery and only 11.5 or less at the coils. 1 volt difference can be 10,000+ or so from the coil. You need to ensure all connections are clean and tight.

In addition, if the battery is not strong and runs down quickly, there may be enough voltage to turn the bike over but not enough to also fire the plugs. When battery voltage drops to 12 or into the 11s that is often the case.

In my experience, hard starting is a combination of these things but most likely lack of strong spark and incorrectly functioning carbs.

Let us know more of what have actually done and what you now find.

good luck,
    spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2013, 09:28 AM.

Comment

What valves ?
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

WHAT VALVES HAHAHA. uum they don't have valves.. it is a smoker
        Did you happen to REPLACE the crankshaft seals??

If they suck air, it will be hard to start, have a high idle, and burn pistons and blow up too..

Comment

Don't all "real" bikes have valves . My bad I just saw 550 not the GT in front of it.

Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
            Welcome. Right off the bat there is a problem with your carbs, obviously, if it won't idle. You say you rebuilt them. Did you clean them in carb dip and instal new o-rings?
            Make sure the o-rings are present on the idle mix screws.
            Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
            '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
            '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
            '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

The first thing I would check is the voltage to the coils. It is common for old bikes to suffer wiring degradation and consequently you end up with only ten or eleven volts going to the ignition system/coils.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

and, when you say the timing is set, did you do that with a dial indicator?
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                  The first thing I would check is the voltage to the coils. It is common for old bikes to suffer wiring degradation and consequently you end up with only ten or eleven volts going to the ignition system/coils.
                  Actually, it was 9.39 volts going to the coils, so we done the coil mod like for the GS bikes. Spark is WAY better.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    and, when you say the timing is set, did you do that with a dial indicator?
                    I think you may have something here. I set the timing by the marks, but the crank has been disassembled to be rebuilt, so the crankpins may not be in the same position. I'll check that out, Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
                      WHAT VALVES HAHAHA. uum they don't have valves.. it is a smoker
                      Did you happen to REPLACE the crankshaft seals??

If they suck air, it will be hard to start, have a high idle, and burn pistons and blow up too..
                      Yes, we had the crank rebuilt, all new seals,big end bearings and crankpins. The rods were ok.

Comment

Working...
                      X