My 2nd standard mod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2nd standard mod.

On new to me bikes, the first thing I generally do is change brake lines to stainless steel from the stock oem rubber ones. I've just done that on on the FZ. The next modification on my list is usually to add a volt meter.

With old bikes being notorious for electrical issues, it behooves us to do all we can to make sure things are working the way they should. Once we have everything all tidied up and working well it only makes sense IMHO to monitor what's going on. Nothing worse, in my mind, to be miles from home, get off the bike for a pee break then not have her start when you are good to go.

Its an easy mod and it can be cheap too. Digital meters can be had off the net for a few dollars, but in my experience, the cheap ones don't work well. Analog devices may be old hat and not as accurate as the digitals but for my application, the old 2" roundy fits the look of the 750s dash.

With only 2 wires to hookup (or 3 if you want it lit up for night) its easy to setup. One pole is positive and one is negative. Any convenient bolt can be used as a ground point to attach the negative. For the power side, you want a line that is only hot when the key is turned on. Using a circuit test probe/light to find that lead and splice into it. Mount the meter in a convenient spot and done.

This installation is temporary and I'll set it deeper into the dash in time but for now it gives me the info I need:

Next up, a baddazz highway horn

cheers all,
    spyug

nice mod....

but I don't think it's working.....or your battery is dead....it's showing way below the 12 volts it should...

yayayayayaya I know the bike is off

you should have taken a pic of the bike on, so we can see that the gauge is actually working....

looks almost stock in there with the other gauges....you should have gotten one with the black trim.....would have been perfect...

good job...

Comment

Actually the body of the thing was white plastic and I painted it black. I guess I wasn't thinking clearly about the trim ring. Easy to fix.

Yeah, I should take a pic of it working but you know me and cameras. I usually forget to take any pics. I should have made it a tutorial for newbs. maybe I'll remember to do that when I put the horn on.

cheers.

Comment

Working...
      X