Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I was getting ready to go for a test ride...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I was getting ready to go for a test ride...

....and this happened:

The bike is going in for its certification tomorrow afternoon. I had been looking it over again today and noticed I had a dragging front right caliper. I suspected the brakes might be a bit dodgy as the junk that came out when I changed the brake lines a week ago was not pretty. Lots of rusty fluid. I knew I had to check them over but as they seemed to work well enough I filed it under the to do list.

This dragging brake was another matter and I knew it would come up in the cert process so I played hooky for the rest of the day and tore into them. Sure enough with the right caliper I had a seized piston. After 2 hours of fighting with it I had the piston out, cleaned it up along with the caliper bore, seals and grooves for the seals. Luckily for me the seals were in good shape since they are $60 a set and you need two sets per caliper. Pistons too were good or that would have been another $156 per Pricey, these Yammies, I think I need to switch back to GSs

Well after getting it all back together I figured I need to road test so that was my intent after supper. I don't know how it happened but I was putting the seat on. I gave it a slap to fix it in positon and over she went.

With the help of the wife we got it back on its tires and sadly she had sustained some damage.....the bike not the wife, but I suspect her back will be sore tomorrow

Nothing my trusty jar of ABS slurry can't fix but what a bummer so no riding for me tonight. I guess I'll walk the puppy, that will cheer me up......specially if she craps on the nasty old biddy's lawn

Well wish me luck on the cert tomorrow.

Cheers all,
    spyug

Well the only good thing.....is you were not on the bike.....

Comment

Pushed it off the side stand?? Must be a heck of a "slap" you gave that seat!!!
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

That stinks.. sorry. Good luck tomorrow. I tipped my 1150 over in my cluttered garage 2 winters ago. it went about 3/4 over and stopped when it hit the wall, severely scratching the windshield, but luckily no cracked plastic. When it started going, it may as well have weighed as much as an elephant.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

When it started going, it may as well have weighed as much as an elephant
          True dat!

I guess I was standing on the left side by the rear wheel. I put the seat on but it wouldn't latch so I gave a kind of a push/slap and over she came. I was too far back to grab the bars and it was over before I could say ****!

I've got the slurry doing its magic on the fairing. It'll be rough but I'll get the fairing back in place for the testing tomorrow and with a long weekend coming up I will do it properly.......if I'm not riding my ass off........or the wife has me cleaning up the jungle that is our back yard.

I hope that is all the bike dumping I do this season.

Cheers,
          spyug

Comment

Next time..wrap a bungee around the brake lever. I would also investigate to see if theres some adjustable bracketry to get it to latch and line up a bit more easily.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
            X