gearing boffins needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gearing boffins needed

currently putting a gs750 pre 82 race bike together.ive fitted a 250 bandit rear wheel which i will run a 150/60/17 tyre on.im having to get an offset sprocket for the front but the only one i can find is 530 chain.i can get these in 15 16 and 17 tooth.my question is what size rear would i need to get to near stock gearing.the engine is still totally standard!!!!(spending the money on the chassis first)so i figure stock gearing would be a good starting point.any help would be much appreciated

There are plenty of websites that can help you do this to match the standard gearing, and any changes that you want to make in the future. Try this one for starters, but there are plenty more to choose from if this one doesn't work for you.

Motorcycle speed and sprocket calculator with bike database for gearing, sprockets, tires and chains of over 1750 bikes. Request yours to be added as well.
    • Suzuki GS1100 for racing
    • Suzuki GS1000S for nostalgia
    • Yamaha FZR1000 for touring
    • Yamaha TR1 for a project

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

what size was your original rear tyre, and front and rear sprocket, we can work it out from there.
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Another 750 in Darfield....Fast Pom has company.

I'm 15 minutes away and build this stuff for Post Classic racing so if you want help or advice just ask.

Myself, I'd go to 520 while I had the chance. More tyre clearance, less sprocket offset required. Our GS1000 is running a 4.5 X17 rear and only required a 4mm spacer behind the front sprocket. Budget in ChCh has the 520 sprockets too. We're running a 41 rear and swap between 15/16/17 fronts depending on circuit.

Comment

[QUOTE=GregT;1869460]Another 750 in Darfield....Fast Pom has company.

I'm 15 minutes away and build this stuff for Post Classic racing so if you want help or advice just ask.

you may regret that offer !!! yeah fast pom lives almost next door to me so it should be a bit of humour if we ever get the bikes ready for the track at the same time.ill have to get my tape measure out again and see if i can get away with the spacer(ive currently got a 160 tyre fitted should be 150)so that might not be helping to much.would much rather use 520 chain if possible.cheers for that anyway and i may have to venture down your way with a few cold ones one night

Comment

Working...
          X