Help me figure this out Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me figure this out Part 2

Well I have the clutch on the FZ working I believe but my tranny is acting as it did when I first asked for help. When running, it is difficult to find neutral and to both upshift and down shift still. It is all but unrideable.

Now I have been asking the same questions on my local board and one of the guys posted this tonight. I have never heard of such a thing and i wonder what folks think:

OK, the clutch works now but the trans. is hard to shift? Try this trick first. Drain the trans. oil and refill with varsol. Start the bike, maybe run around the block, use the clutch a bunch of times, slip the clutch etc., but get the trans. and clutch hot! It'll be noisey but don't worry, you're not going too far!! Then right away, drain the varsol and refill with whatever the OEM recommends for trans. fluid! Sounds to me like the plates/discs are sticking! I've done this to barn finds that have been sitting for 20 years and it works!!
    Now I have dissassembled the clutch a couple of times over the last few days and I don't believe there are any sticking disks but if there arer how this would affect shifting.

Comments, ladies and gentlemen.

Cheers,
    spyug

Think this through. Lots of people don't use the clutch at all when shifting, poor shifting is not caused by anything to do with the clutch. My wife's bike has a messed up clutch, but it shifts just fine.
    If you can't upshift or downshift or find neutral, look elsewhere.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If the plates stick..then they dont FULLY release so the gears arent free to index? I wouldnt run it around the block though. Maybe take them out back in a big pot of the stuff and boil them on the grill or something..cant hurt anything.

Your fighting the drag in order to shift it basically.

Just my opinion though...
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-26-2013, 11:58 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The clutch won't keep it from shifting. Unloading the trans is what makes them shift. You need to look at the shift drum, shift forks, shift shafts & the shift pawl. Ray.

Comment

are you sure the shift shaft is not binding in the sprocket cover? that happened to John Kat a while back on his GS causing shift problems
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I think Spyug will, unfortunately need to tear right down into this engine and tranny....

we figured out the reason for the slave clutch piston bottoming out and not pushing the rod to activate the clutch, even though it's not in the Clymer and it says the parts are not needed unless it's a 1986 model and up, but as soon as we put the small flat bearing and washer, buttoned it up, the clutch system worked like a charm.

so I am wondering, did the PO perhaps do some tranny work, and forgot something, perhaps with the part we found (sort of) missing, is there other things that are not right ?

I know Spyug did not get this FZ to have a full blown project, but it seems it is going to turn into one, at least on the power plant side of things...

I am going to suggest, you take the bull by the horns, dig into that engine and tranny and see what is going on......hopefully it's something minor, like a missing washer, and your up and running in no time....

If you need a hand, give me a shout...

Cheers

Comment

Thanks guys. I have double and triple checked everything in the clutch side of things including the shift shaft and its pawls and everything looks good. I was able to shift by hand with the bike not running and on the stand but once on the road it all goes to hell.

I'm not sure if that indicates binding in the sprocket cover or not but I suspect not as the pressure of the foot is on the remote lever and not directly on the shift shaft itself. It seems free enough.

I suspect I am just trying to postpone the inevitable and that engine will have to come apart.

spyug

Comment

Working...
              X